Clams and gfo

SkunkerX

Is there anyone out there that have a clam or clams that also run gfo?

I just want to know if its possible because I hear stories good and bad

and would like to make sure before I accidentally kill my clam. Thankx

MMreef

I always had clams and gfo, never experienced any of those problems i heard from other people. Clams grew from couple of inches to about 6in.

labas39

I've had both and my clam was very healthy! I ended up getting rid of him only because he outgrew the tank.

SkunkerX

Thanks, so what would you suggest? Start off with half the amount it recommends or just start off with

the full recommended dose? What about carbon? Is that safe to use also with clams? The only reason I

ask about the carbon is I have a dual reactor.

madjoe

Premium member
Its only a issue if u dont run your gfo right its the dust frim the gfo either from not rinsing well or to high tumble and it grinds into dust other then that lots of people run gfo with clams few have issues but more have sucess so my guess be they doing something wrong

nailbender

Its only a issue if u dont run your gfo right its the dust frim the gfo either from not rinsing well or to high tumble and it grinds into dust other then that lots of people run gfo with clams few have issues but more have sucess so my guess be they doing something wrong
Yeah, what he said

SkunkerX

OK hopefully the last question I have for this. I have a dual reactor and the amount of GFO I need for my tank

jam packs one side and even with the valve all the way open I dont see it tumble at all, question is should I leave

it on the one side like that or split it between the 2?

skyon888

OK hopefully the last question I have for this. I have a dual reactor and the amount of GFO I need for my tank

jam packs one side and even with the valve all the way open I dont see it tumble at all, question is should I leave

it on the one side like that or split it between the 2?
BRS dual reactor? What size tank?

Also, I run GFO and Carbon with a Clam, no issues here.

skyon888

Yeah that's the same reactor I use on a tank with about half the volume you have. I usually fill one chamber about 3/8 fill and run it every other month.

With that size tank I'd recommend just filling up the GFO chamber half full for the 1st month, stripping the water of all phosphates in a short period of time is not recommended from what I've gathered. As far as not getting a tumble with a full chamber, where is the reactor itself in relation to the pump? I keep mine about level, I've found that the little MJ1200, though reliable, doesn't overcome head pressure well at all.

SkunkerX

This is where I had it sitting when I was testing out the flow and rinsing the gfo and the water level in that

tub is above the top of the reactor. Where I go to hook it up in the tank it will be on that tile next to the

chiller where the top of the reactor will be a little above the water in the sump or should I just put it on the

floor where it will be well below the water in the sump. Plus you think I should only use half that amount

for just the 1st month then go to the recommended amount? Cuz what is in the chamber now is the recommended

amount for my tank. And when I do go with the full amount should I split it between the two or just keep it

in the one like in the pic?

mishmaster

I always had clams and gfo, never experienced any of those problems i heard from other people. Clams grew from couple of inches to about 6in.
what type of clam and how long did it take for it to grow that big? what's the growth rate? do you feed it?
also how often do you replace gfo?

MMreef

I had deresa and maxima clams. Deresa grew quicker, took a little over 1 year to grow to 6 in., maxima about 2 years to the same size. No feeding, just plenty of light and CA, basicaly SPS reef conditions. Gfo was replaced as needed about 45-60 days.