Clams on half shell?

cment

Hey guys...any local stores carry clams on half shell? Looking for some for my new blue throat trigger.

Mjl714

I usually look at the closest grocery store. Usually end up with clam locked up pretty tight, and need to pry it open for my trigger.

cment

I usually look at the closest grocery store. Usually end up with clam locked up pretty tight, and need to pry it open for my trigger.
Any danger associated with getting them from the store? I ask bc Hikari states theirs are free of parasites and other potentially harmful things. Not sure if thats a legitimate concern or just a marketing gimmick.

Mjl714

"Any danger," who knows, I personally have not had any issues.

Last edited:

oceanfreak09

Safe for the fish to eat but that doesn’t necessarily take care of any type of hitch hicking parasite that could be introduced to your tank. I would remove the meat and rinse thoroughly. (Just to be safe)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mjl714

Safe for the fish to eat but that doesn’t necessarily take care of any type of hitch hicking parasite that could be introduced to your tank. I would remove the meat and rinse thoroughly. (Just to be safe)

Good idea, I actually like throwing in the shell, so trigger can tear clam meat out, like it would naturally, but maybe risky idea.

Gav

Just freeze them. The freezing process kills all parasites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cment

Where did you get him? Local? Can you ask them where they got there food?
Yes I got him local. The place where I got him was out but will have some in stock next week. I was just seeing if any other stores may have it so I didn't have to wait.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the help guys