Classroom reef/fwlr

ryanjan11

Yo peeps... new school year is here and I'm pumped! Landed a great position in Glen Ellyn teaching 3rd grade and I'm doing a reef theme for the classroom to kick of the year. I'm thinking "Dive into third grade" but let me know if you have other ideas!

Anyways, here's where I seek your advice! I was toying with the idea of starting a small tank for the classroom. I was thinking that if I do corals, itll just be easy softies like xenias and mushroom... or just go fwlr. I think the kids would get a kick out of the corals though.

Any advice would be great! Any teachers out there that have done this? As far as break goes... I was thinking of an auto feeder for the short breaks and for the summer...well I havent figured that out yet...

Herbie

Banned
do a barebottom with xenia and a few zoas. You could take it down at breaks if you had to. My marineland double bright seems to be able to grow xenia pretty well so if you stuck with something simple you could go prety inexpensive. Cool project for sure.

yogoshio

+1 for simple corals with fish. What kid doesn't love clownfish?

Even a double T5 or the marineland double bright would be more than enough.

Autofeeder, cheapo skimmer (red sea prizm comes to mind) or maybe no skimmer but just a fuge would actually be more than enough for a smaller tank as long as you're doing water changes.

You could get a 10 gallon setup for maybe $150 when it's all said and done if you buy new, used obviously less than that.

ryanjan11

Thanks guys... I love the idea of the bare bottom... I have an Eshopps psk-100h skimmer sitting at home...would that be too much if I go with like a 29 gal?

poidog

Why not just get a all in one like a nano cube and be done with it. Comes with everything including a lid to keep little hands out of it.

Tethered_Limbs

my 5th grade teacher had a fowlr, was definitely my coolest teacher :captain:

he did get accused of molesting some kid later on tho.........

ryanjan11

Why not just get a all in one like a nano cube and be done with it. Comes with everything including a lid to keep little hands out of it.
great idea...i was thinking that I would have to build a canopy...this would save me the trouble....

mr_z

didnt someone mention a petco or petsmart was getting rid of 29 gallon nano cubes for $150. with stand

gig

This was my initial thought the other day, but I didn't post it...lol

FOSTER

very cool a lot of those kids probably wish they could have it at home pat on the back to you for doing this

FOSTER

just gave my 2 nieces age 4 and 8 a 55 fowlr and they go ape **** over it now that it is "theirs" which means in their living room where they play lol