Clicking noise

Quicksilver

Picked up an established tank with full coral and livestock. Every so often I hear a loud clicking noise (very infrequent but clustered together) and I'm at a lost for what is causing it. I have had freshwater tanks off/on for decades and never heard this noise, it's not a pistol shrimp since we broke down the tank to transport it and I would have seen it. It's loud enough to hear it 20 feet way, I do have cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp, snails, hermit crabs and emerald crabs along with fish and coral/anemones.

mikenh77

Picked up an established tank with full coral and livestock. Every so often I hear a loud clicking noise (very infrequent but clustered together) and I'm at a lost for what is causing it. I have had freshwater tanks off/on for decades and never heard this noise, it's not a pistol shrimp since we broke down the tank to transport it and I would have seen it. It's loud enough to hear it 20 feet way, I do have cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp, snails, hermit crabs and emerald crabs along with fish and coral/anemones.
It sounds like it's a mantis shrimp. They can hide in the rock during transport pretty easily and can be hard to spot.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jrpark22000

Premium member
If you've ruled out shrimp, the only other thing that comes to mind are snails. When a snail climbs onto the shell of another snail, they can twist quickly, in hopes of removing the hitchiker. If the offending hitchiker is slammed against glass it can be quick loud clicking noise.

Quicksilver

Thanks everyone, definitely not a mantis or pistol shrimp. I would have spotted it when we broke down the tank and separated all the livestock from the rocks or when we placed everything back into the tank. Maybe it's the snails causing it, drives me crazy and have been for months trying to find out. Any other suggestions please keep it coming. thanks

I'm not questioning you, but I still wouldn't rule out a shrimp. I have three Pistols and I haven't seen any of them in years. They can be small and hide very well. I have broken down tanks and moved these rocks 5 times and have never spotted one.

Peaches

I'm not questioning you, but I still wouldn't rule out a shrimp. I have three Pistols and I haven't seen any of them in years. They can be small and hide very well. I have broken down tanks and moved these rocks 5 times and have never spotted one.
Agree . I would of just hit the like button but seems i have no like button

tomek77pl

100% this is a pistol shrimp. I haven't seen mine in a year and he is still shooting :).

goatous

I would agree that it is likely a pistol shrimp. They are great at hiding and I haven't seen mine since I put him in the tank, but I hear him firing away every so often.

If it's any consolation to you , mine never really seem to be a problem. A Mantis is a whole other bag of problems, but pistols get a worse rep than they deserve.

Last edited:

Quicksilver

Thanks everyone, does a pistol shrimp have the capability to snap away multiple times in succession? The noise I'm hearing is infrequent and in clusters.
From listening to the youtube videos my sound is more like a tap on glass, still leaning towards the snails. I reached out to the previous owner and he never purchased a pistol shrimp and he never saw one either. Not totally eliminating it since it could have come on as a hitch hiker.

Last edited: