Cloudy sandy Water.

jeffy

I hope that this would be the place to post something on the lines. If not, Mods please move.

On with the story, since Sunday I've been pumping water into my tank an have it flowing nicely. However it's still not cleared up. Looks like a lot of the sand particles are getting pushed around. I've turned down the power head and return pump a bit. That seemed to do the trick. But it just seems to not settle. Is this a normal thing? I've been circulating the water, sand and rock for over a month in a different tank. Just now moved it to my 90 Sunday. Water levels seem to be ok. I'll check it again when I get home.

Sent from my Russian submarine

trackfast

Princess Trainer
Just to clarify: You upgraded (?) to a 90. You had the water, sand and rock in another tank and when you transferred it into the 90 the water is cloudy?

I would turn off the pumps for a few hours and then wipe down the inside glass. If it turns cloudy again I would filter the water with a fine micron filter sock or several layers of filter floss. As a last resort you could buy water clarifyer (for saltwater) and that should help the sand settle.

tmb22

It usually takes 3 or 4 days to fully clear up. You should be running your skimmer during this period too. I'd wait a couple more days. If it's still not cleared up, might try a filter sock and running carbon.

jeffy

Just to clarify: You upgraded (?) to a 90. You had the water, sand and rock in another tank and when you transferred it into the 90 the water is cloudy?

I would turn off the pumps for a few hours and then wipe down the inside glass. If it turns cloudy again I would filter the water with a fine micron filter sock or several layers of filter floss. As a last resort you could buy water clarifyer (for saltwater) and that should help the sand settle.
By tanks I mean 100 gallon Rubbermaid containers. I was still constructing the stand an drilling the tank.

Sounds good! I have a few filter socks on hand. Just changed on out last night.

jeffy

It usually takes 3 or 4 days to fully clear up. You should be running your skimmer during this period too. I'd wait a couple more days. If it's still not cleared up, might try a filter sock and running carbon.
Might be a few more days. I'm not running a skimmer. I'm running a ATS.