clown question

lunacris

honestly size of tank gives you about a 1% better chance imo . some clowns will fight no matter what if they are a pair already . ive had a group of 4 but never able to have multiple pairs in my tank . if i were to try again i would prob hit up mitch and buy a bunch of little ones being raised together . may be best shot , or you can get completly lucky and never have a issue with diff clowns . dont think theres a proven way for it to work everytime

SkullV

Are you talking more than one pair of different types or one pair with 2different clowns.

The only tank I've seen in person with multiple pairs of differnet species is Bill from reefledlights, maybe contact him.

lunacris

not impossible just my experience . i think that hyper fella on here had like 4 or 5 diff clowns in a 125 . not sure how he managed that tho lol i just dont like 500 + in clowns fighting

Rich130981

I have a snowflake and platinum in the 300. Pink skunks in the 125. I wanted 1 or 2 more hosting pairs different from the other two

goat585

Administrator
I have two pairs in my 240. A pair of onyx percs and a pair of ocellaris. They fought a lot in the beginning but know they are fine. I friend of mine had a 330 with 10 onyx and ocellaris and they were doing okay. Its risky to do it but with good planning and a large tank you have a chance

I think as long as you stay away from the more aggressive ones like clarkiis and maroons, you may be able to. The hard part is keeping your existing clowns from being aggressive towards new pairs. The best bet would be to add them all together before there are established territories.

Rich130981

The Platinum and snowflake have been together in the tank for 3 months but they havent paired up. Does that the make the situation a little easier that they are not paired.

The Platinum and snowflake have been together in the tank for 3 months but they havent paired up. Does that the make the situation a little easier that they are not paired.
It's possible. Especially since Snowflakes are usually occelaris if I believe and platinums are perculas. So if you were to introduce new clowns of similar sizes, you may be ok.

Rich130981

I didnt know that. I thought they were the same type of fish with different patterns. Maybe that's why they have no interest in each other.

moon jelly

I had a male and female orange skunk and a female oscellaris and at least 30 RBTA's in a 120g for 3 years.(it's a long story, never intended to have more than one pair of clowns). After 3 years, the oscellaris decided to attack my male skunk so I moved the oscellaris to my fuge with a couple RBTA's. My oscellaris never hosted the same rbta when it was in the main display. It would host one rbta for several months than move on to another one. My orange skunk has been hosting the same group (3 RBTA's that are next to each other) for over 2 years. So you never know if the clowns will stay in the same nem.

Last edited:

cet98

the truth is that unfortunately there is no real way to determine if and when any clownfish (or bonded pair) will turn on the others. the "experts" will tell you that you can not keep more than you pair in a tank safely but I (as have many) have seen many reefers keeping more than two clownfish, even different species, together for long periods of time in the same tank. A 300 gal tank will certainly give you a much better chance than a 55 gal, but once a pair bond anything is possible.
I have had two bonded Snowflake pairs in the same tank (with a center divided panel) for almost three years and recently required an emergency tank transfer/replacement. Since I had no time to install a center panel divider in the new tank (had to get all my livestock back into new tank before I had started losing everything) I had to place one pair in a quick makeshift holding box...Days later both clownfish somehow escaped from the box and within hours the two females were in "arse-kickin' mode"....thankfully I was home in time to separate the two pairs and everyone is safe and sound now...

as for your Platinum and Snowflake pairing up....they most certainly can pair even though they are Percula and Ocellaris...a SnowOynx is a Perc/Occy combo ;)

BooyahsReef

My belief is three feet of thank per pair. If you try...... always have a open tank or sump for emergencies. It can be done. Led bill has several pairs in his 700.side note. Trios are very cool. Several other (words) are spoken between a trio than a pair. Totaly different interactions.

My belief is three feet of thank per pair. If you try...... always have a open tank or sump for emergencies. It can be done. Led bill has several pairs in his 700.side note. Trios are very cool. Several other (words) are spoken between a trio than a pair. Totaly different interactions.
Soooo very true, have 2 tanks with trios in there and they get along just fine
Bob

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Decker

I had 2 clarkii 2 maroons and 2 onyx in my tank. I paired them up in other tanks before adding them but then they all got divorced now I have one of each. In large groups clowns do well at birth but they are territorial and they will fight to the death for mates. Choose your favorite ones or try to find 2 that are hanging out (one larger than the other) before buying.