Clowns laying eggs - Question

jfmkem82

So I've got a pair of clowns and they regularly lay eggs. In the past I haven't really had much of an interest in trying to get the fry to hatch, but this time they laid the eggs on the inside surface of a clam shell (the clam died so the shell is obviously empty). If I remove the clam shell and put it in a separate tank, what are my odds of getting baby clowns and what should I do to increase the odds of the fry surviving?

goat585

Administrator
So I've got a pair of clowns and they regularly lay eggs. In the past I haven't really had much of an interest in trying to get the fry to hatch, but this time they laid the eggs on the inside surface of a clam shell (the clam died so the shell is obviously empty). If I remove the clam shell and put it in a separate tank, what are my odds of getting baby clowns and what should I do to increase the odds of the fry surviving?
In order to do this you will need rotifers. if you do not have a rotifer culture going your chances of success are next to nothing. You would pull the eggs on the night of hatch put them in the tank. The only thing in the tank is a heater and air stone. Use the air stone so that it bubbles on the eggs. Shut of the lights and within a couple of hours turn on the light. If the fish are hatched then add rotifers and phytoplankton to the tank. Each day replenish the two of those for 7 days and do a water change each day. After day 7 add a sponge filter and then you can feed crushed pellet or flake. Thats the basic procedure but there are more details and nuisances to be successful in doing it.