Come one, Come all....answer my questions

Chief

Hello,

I am getting into Salt Water Reef tank awesomeness. Everyone be excited for me!!

Any who, This is what I am currently starting with:

1 - 29g BioCube
1 - Kessil A80 Tuna Blue
1 - Mini Gooseneck for Kessil A80 Tuna Blue
1- API 5 in 1 test strips
1 - Cobalt Aquatics 100 watt Electric Neo-Therm submersible aquarium heater
Unlimited- Patience

View attachment 24612

My goals and aspirations are to have a refuge in Bay 2 of the BioCube that houses CopePods to feed Mandarin's if possible.

I am currently looking at InTank 29g Biocube Media and Fuge basket for Bay 2. What do you think of this?

What else do I need for the tank? I am getting it from a friend and I believe it only has the pump with it.

Tell me everything!! and give me ideas for aquascaping.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thank you,
Chief
Newby

Last edited:

trackfast

Princess Trainer
I am personally against having a mandarin in a tank that size.

If the tank only has the one pump I would add a power head or wavemaker; I like the MP10 for this. I run a 24G cube with no media in the chambers and skimmerless. I like it simple. lol

For more complex aquascapes I use acrylic/fiberglass rods and drill holes in the LR. I have used a super glue gel/putty mixture but it takes a little time to cure and your skimmer will go nuts as it hardens.

And the test strips are usually awful; very inaccurate. Go with a test kit that uses reagents mixed with your tank water.

conchman

Premium member
Welcome...first if you are gonna be in for the long haul...take a long deep breath...slowly exhale. Now, on my 20 fusion I found I did not need a skimmer. 10% change...wait for it...2 Whooping gallons. Agreeing with Track, dump the strips. Do some research for testing, me Salifert. Good luck and may Poseidon be with you...

On a side note, Track, any interest in a quickly over growing Idaho Grape? One I got from you is growing massive!��

Chief

I will end up doing water changes as much as needed.

Strips are temporary, friend suggested them and they simple according to him so I ordered them.

Track do you have a brand for the powerhead?

For water I have the ability to get water from my local aquarium, should i?

Thank you for the quick replies

conchman

Premium member
2nd on the MP, running 2 now. You will only need one, MP10WQD...Early on I had regular powerhead. Timer that went in and off in 5 minute cycles. I like my Neo-Therm

Chief

I see a lot of information regarding where to place powerheads. Is there a specific spot that benefits more then the other?

Mjl714

The best spot is usually one that gets circulation everywhere, or as many places as possible.

Mark1313

Intank media and fuge can't be beat. What's the plan on media?
Mp10 is fine, I suggest looking at for sale threads. Not my style on a tank that small, I look at current and koria. Aqamai is sick.
Take a look at controllable as the mp10 may not be what you desire for future plans.
You won't be happy with the a80 for a tank that size. I run that light on a 10 IM. It may pull softies/lps at the start but you'll be happier starting better and not having to dump a light that isn't made to do what you want. Think nanobox and a few others. Initial investment saves a lot of hassle on all this.
Skimmer or water changes. Once ya get balanced (patience to get that zen) water changes work wonders and make everything inside happy happy. Get a little lazy/busy skimmer is a life saver (maybe literal).
What's the pump you're getting with it? If it's under power you maybe wanna look at that upgrade also. There's a nice rfg that if you have the pump strength you can go a diff direction on powerhead. What I mean is, you may not need the mp10 power if you make up for it with pump strength/rfg and a decent powerhead.
A few pump options on that tank.
Aquascape lol clueless. I love looking at other people's tanks and stealing /adapting their ideas.

I am not going to tell you what you can or cannot do livestock. You can do anything in that tank. Some ideas are not the best ideas for ME but they may work for you. You can keep a tang. Granted not the brightest idea, but ya may wanna keep the tang for a couple of months and then upgrade. So then, good idea. You learn and go with your flow.

Mp10 may seem expensive in comparison to other options, but its a great reliable small footprint so great for your small tank.

Neotherm heater was a great choice too.

Look into an ato for one less thing to worry about. Lots of good options.

The hardest part about a small tank is keeping parameters in check - this is one hobby where going small is actually more difficult.

Have fun!

Mark1313

Oh and sorry Chief. Although yeah! Yippee! Excitement!
I also feel sorry for your bank account and hope you're young enough that the hair you pull out grows back.
Above all. Never ever wheeze the juice

Mark1313

Mp10 may seem expensive in comparison to other options, but its a great reliable small footprint so great for your small tank.

Neotherm heater was a great choice too.

Look into an ato for one less thing to worry about. Lots of good options.

The hardest part about a small tank is keeping parameters in check - this is one hobby where going small is actually more difficult.

Have fun!
I won't disagree with that. I just prefer the lesser cost controllable powerhead. It's just me.
Wow thanks for the ato reminder. How could I forget that in my ramble.
Yes Chief ato!
My experience. Autoaqua smart but there are many good ones. Wow can't believe I forgot ato.