Confused Clownfish

m.miller1547

I have an Orange clown with black spots on body. I've done some research and found that clowns can try host other corals besides an anenome. Like: frogspawn, hammers, mushrooms and even the tank glass. I have witnessed him rubbing a zoa colony in the substrate. He does it at night when lights are off or in morning.
I'm curious if this fish is gonna keep getting stung until he dies of stress.? Or will he just stop? I've noticed this for about three weeks.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Cubbies

They do get stung but it doesn't do much to them. I don't remember the source of were I read that their body has something that helps them against it. Don't hold me to it as I never did extended research on this and the source could've been wrong as well. If I'm not correct I'll let someone else chime in.

Triggerdood

Not sure if it is harmful to them. I have a clown that did the exact same thing. Went on for a couple of months but ended up stopping on his own. In perfect health.

poidog

Yes, the black spots are "burn" marks from the coral that it is rubbing on. As the clown becomes use to the coral's toxin the black marks will go away... give it about a month. If the switch and host something else, you will see the black marks again until immunity builds up.

nailbender

I have a clown that hosted in a frog spawn while I was looking for a bubble tip. I found a nice one and the clown ignores it. It likes its frog spawn. The bubble tip has since split twice and the clown won't go near any of them let alone host.

FishBeard

The frogspawn hosts the clown. Get it right. :p
Technically, no corals actually "host" the clownfish. Only about a dozen or so species of anemones (which are not corals) actually create the symbiotic bond we consider "hosting". If a clown is "hosted" in your coral, they are just doing what they are programmed to do and confused about what they are trying to bond with. Usually there is no ill effect. I have a clown that just won't leave a Duncan coral alone, it doesn't seem to mind anymore, but the clown is most definitely not being "hosted" by the Duncan.

But regarding a confused clownish pestering your soft corals, a safe bet is "no harm, no foul". Let the little buggers enjoy themselves. If you see it becoming an issue, remove the coral in question.

lunacris

i had same issue as all of these my pair was beating up my orange torch gave them a rbta ignored for a while till i moved the coral and they found the rbta agree with above no harm no foul

SkullV

Technically, no corals actually "host" the clownfish. Only about a dozen or so species of anemones (which are not corals) actually create the symbiotic bond we consider "hosting". If a clown is "hosted" in your coral, they are just doing what they are programmed to do and confused about what they are trying to bond with. Usually there is no ill effect. I have a clown that just won't leave a Duncan coral alone, it doesn't seem to mind anymore, but the clown is most definitely not being "hosted" by the Duncan.

But regarding a confused clownish pestering your soft corals, a safe bet is "no harm, no foul". Let the little buggers enjoy themselves. If you see it becoming an issue, remove the coral in question.
Glad someone said it!