cooking live rock

lunacris

I have decided to cook my rock for my next build. This is the first step to my build to try and get it off on the right foot !
i have done alot of reading and discussing on cooking rock with fellow reefers and decided this will be my best bet to make sure i will have a clean slate with my build. PLEASE feel free to comment but keep on topic.

so my first step was to buy the rock i wanted for my new build and i went with two very large pieces of pukani dry rock and some old dry rock previously live rock from my old tanks i had laying around. rock total weight dry is roughly 90 to 100 lbs.

second after some reading the cooking process can take a few months and i read that dipping rock in a acid bath can help speed this up by taking off the outer shell of the rock. so i used a tub with about 25 gallons of water and 2 gallons of muriatic acid from a fellow reefer. (thanks slinky !) i must add this stuff is pretty cool to work with it smokes when u open the bottle. so i basically slowy poured it in the tub wearing gloves and a mask since the fumes are pretty nasty. i let it go till it pretty much stopped foaming. then added baking soda to neutralize the remaining acid. after this is done i rinsed off the rock with the hose and let it soak in fresh water for 24 hours then dumped washed again with fresh water then another 24 hour soak followed by a final blast from the hose. (some use ro for these steps but i am cooking so didnt feel it was a must)
here is the rock sitting in the acid bath kinda looks like a super skimmer

third is "cooking" the rock. this is can take a few months just a fyi so if u are impatient might not be for you. i did this in my basement as well but if ur going to cook live rock prob do in your garage because they say it smells horrible. basically whats needed is saltwater made from ro, a container large enough to fit all ur rock in or multiples if lots of rock. heater and flow. i used lots of flow and only enough water to cover my rocks which comes out to about 30 gallons in a 75 gallon tank.i had painted back and sides of tank black and covered the top and front with black garbage bags. and taped it so no light gets in the tank . this is huge NO LIGHT !!!!!!. then every week i choose sundays , i make fresh salt water and swish around rock to get all crap off and clean the cooking tank. a 100% water change and a sample cup of water from the tank (before you take out water or disturb rock) and the fresh salt water. this will be to test po4.
i will continue to do this untill crap stops coming out of rock and po4 and nitrates are at 0 for two weeks.
pic of rock

heres the tank all covered up

the clean bin to rinse rock off in

after rinsing rock (and this is after a acid bath ) gross !!!

and all the crap at the bottom of cooking tank

when u clean the rocks off each week u may need multiple buckets because the water gets pretty nasty. i took pics of before and after my first week and will continue to update this thread every week until done.
if this in wrong section please move

week one po4 tests :
from tank with rock still in it before moving anything .50
from new saltwater : 0

Herbie

Banned
very cool. is the end result expected to be bone white dry rock? I'm currently in the process of weighing my options on my next tank for live vs. dry. I have a few pieces that I really like in my current set up so I'll be interested to see hw this turns out. Thanks for posting!

lunacris

im not sure if it will be bone white ? usually u get the white color from the acid bath because it takes off the outer shell of the rock. but i wanted to take a step further and make sure the rock is clean and no longer leaching po4. after acid bath it was pretty obvious that just taking off the outer layer of rock woudnt have solved this issue so glad i choose to cook it. i will take pics weekly tho of everything . eventually the water gets cleaner as there is no more crap coming off of rock.(or thats what i have read never done this before )

JLee1469

Something I should be doing but don't want to wait the long process. Will be following! Does running GFO reduce the water changes needed to be done?

lunacris

Good question . I dont know . I would assume you would exhaust gfo pretty quick . In the first week po4 is up to .50 almost 1.0 which is crazy high imo , and that isnt even with a lab test. Gfo isnt cheap and burning thru it all would prob suck more than all the water changes

DD

"Rambo"
You would probably just be wasting gfo. From what I've read, the purpose of the water changes is to get rid of the decaying matter that falls off the rock. It also gives you the opportunity to shake each rock off in a bucket of water as well.

jayjigga

Figure out how to lanthanum chloride so you can pull the phos out quicker...RC has some great cooking threads.

lunacris

week two is done !
so far not much change overall still removing alot of crap from the rock and po4 continues to pour out of them,
bottom of tank

and the washing tub

po4 in new water :0
po4 in cooking tank :.50
used salt water 44 gallons

fenderguy

Looking great Chris! Can't wait to see what u set up next. This makes your 2nd build since I got the nuvo from you.lol

lunacris

water was less dirty looking still a lil dirty and tons of crap at bottom of the tub still . im getting a little impatient but its for the good . must keep going
water :44 gallons
new water po4: 0
tank water po4 .25

O

opie77

If you need anything, give me a call. I have ro water if needed too.

gmguy496

What kind of tub did u use juice hooked it up with some rock i was gunna acid wash and dont want it eating the tub?

lunacris

Yup used a regular walmart storage container like u see in the pic every week . Didnt melt anything but add into water not acid then water .