Copper treated tank

BroPar

Hi i was wondering is there a way to clean or remove copper from live rock and live sand to use it in a reef tank? I found a 1146s state st 4person selling LR and LS for cheap im guessing since he used copper that hes selling it cheap. also would it even be worth it?

ColaAddict

"Madjoe" has done it. PM him. maybe let it run as fowler for awhile and keep using carbon and copper remover and water changes. eventually, most of the copper will be leached out and be able to use them for reef. you can also soak rocks in muriatic acid to speed up process. Probably use new sand, since old sand has alot of crap in it anyway.

jrpark22000

Premium member
The only way I know would not be worth the time or money. It'd take running cuprisorb and gfo on the system. As copper in very small traces can affect some livestock and with test kits being inaccurate at those levels I don't know how you'd check to see if it had removed all the copper.

Cool, Nino beat me to it with a better way.

SkullV

Like these dudes said, not worth it. Rock is cheap, and there is no way a couple dollars per pound savings is worth potentially setting the whole thing up and chasing coral/invert problems for years.

BroPar

Ok thanks guys yea i was not sure if it was easy or not and the way it seems just better to buy untreated stuff cause the cost of trying to get copper out would end up costing the same. Thanks again

jm23

The only thing I will add is that copper removal depends mostly on the type of copper used. If they used Cupramine then it is far easier to remove then some of the other stuff. I started to go with copper in a QT with some live rock and sand that I took from the DT, but then decided to go the Tank Transfer Method route instead. I had only put 1/4 of the dose in for a week or so, but then added one of those copper removal pads. I had a PAR38 over the tank for light and the corals started growing in the QT that just had copper, so I would say that the pad worked very well.