CoralPharmD's Fluval spec V

CoralPharmD

So I recently purchased a used fluval spec v and have taken LR and water from my bigger tank to get it going. This is my first nano tank and I am looking for some advice on equipment and general maintenance. Would a one gallon water change every week be right for this size tank since there is not a skimmer? As for lighting...it has an upgraded LED strip runny 9 one watt LEDs, is there a good LED light that would have a higher power that would be suitable for sps? I am thinking a par bulb from CC (I think it might spot light too much because of the landscape design of the tank) but just wondering if there is something else that is recommended. Also, what am I able to stock as for fish? I was thinking 2 small fish max... if they get too big or do not have enough food in the tank then I will move them to my big tank, but what do you think?

Tank was setup on Friday the 25th.
Current stock is just a small bicolor blenny added on the 26th.

I will be moving some sps and lps over from my other tank once I know things are running smoothly.

I will get a picture of it soon.

BigBarnacles

All of your ideas sound about right. I do a 1 gallon every other week on my Nuvo 8. Two little fish should be just fine. I have three little gobies in mine. The LED strip will be fine for LPS, as far as SPS go...not sure. Plus the SPS like the skimmed water. I haven't had long term success with SPS in my nuvo.

Jep21

Tank is looking amazing bro.. I too have a nano tank will be tagging along..

For equipment will be really dependent on how much ur willing to spend. U can spend big money or decent money either way u'll be able to run ur tank successfully.. Just make sure u keep up with water changes and make sure u dnt have a lot of fluctuation with ur parameters and u'll be fine. For me I have a jbj 6g with a DIY led, with a maxijet 400 for return, mp10 for flow, and a reef keeper to control lights and heater..

Again good job bro

CoralPharmD

Did you build the diy LED light yourself? I have been reading a lot on how to build one so maybe in the near future I will give it a go. I wish I was able to spring for the MP10 but I got the koralia 240 for 10 bucks and figured right now I can spend that money elsewhere. What type of fish are you keeping?

DD

"Rambo"
Three words for pico tanks, auto top off.

20% wc every week will be great for a pico as well.

Looks good so far bro!

Jep21

Did you build the diy LED light yourself? I have been reading a lot on how to build one so maybe in the near future I will give it a go. I wish I was able to spring for the MP10 but I got the koralia 240 for 10 bucks and figured right now I can spend that money elsewhere. What type of fish are you keeping?
No I didn't build my light I had a fellow reefer here build one.. Mr. Higgs good guy.. Koralias are fine I just switched mine koralia to the mp10 to have a more controlled powerhead.. Fish wise I currently have a hi fin red banded goby, flame prawn goby, and will be adding a nickel size six line wrasse.. And I also have 1 peppermint shrimp and a harlequin shrimp pair

Jep21

Three words for pico tanks, auto top off.

20% wc every week will be great for a pico as well.

Looks good so far bro!
What dom said.. But for my tank since it's closed off I dnt see much evap.. But in the future I'll be adding a jbj ato top off

CoralPharmD

I wonder what the dimensions are of the jbj. I was just looking at that one but I don't see any dimensions. This take doesn't have a ton of room in the filter area.

DD

"Rambo"
I wonder what the dimensions are of the jbj. I was just looking at that one but I don't see any dimensions. This take doesn't have a ton of room in the filter area.
The only one I have any experience with is the avast marine ato. They sell them in nano configurations as well.

The way they work is with a pressure tube. When the water level drops, the pressure tube senses the drop in pressure and kicks on whatever pump you have set up. I use an aqua lifter. I have to of the larger avast units and have never had a problem with either one.

Here's a linky: http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/do/product/rigging/Top-off-Kit

On a side note, I'll be ordering another unit soon for a new/used nano I'll be setting up soon.

CoralPharmD

Jep I think you know Matt Miller?? There was a LED light that he had before he went to a par bulb by cc. I believe that was a diy. I hope you know what light I am talking about. A light like that would be perfect for my tank. I have been trying to find a list of parts to build something similar.

Jep21

Jep I think you know Matt Miller?? There was a LED light that he had before he went to a par bulb by cc. I believe that was a diy. I hope you know what light I am talking about. A light like that would be perfect for my tank. I have been trying to find a list of parts to build something similar.
Yup I new Matt.. Good guy.. He used a jbj unibody led.. I thnk he had one that was gutted out and he made his own led set up

CoralPharmD

Yup that's exactly what it looked like. Too rich for me. I'm in pharmacy school so right now money is really tight. I think the best bet would be to make one. Is there anyone that might have a parts list that I would be able to take a look at and gather ideas from?