Correct paint for paiting the back of tank?

bennyblanco

What is the correct paint to use for painting the back of a glass tank? If I decide to convert my 5 gallon eco pico then I'd like to paint the back black. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Brett

DB9181

Krylon fusion is probably the best BUT... I've always just gone to home depot/ace and gotten the cheapest brand. Since your doing the back/outside of the tank it shouldnt really matter, at least I haven't seen it be an issue on any of my tanks.

jm23

Do a shadow box. I saw a thread on a few and they looked amazing. If I could do it over and had the room behind my tank I would do it.

roilciuc

I used a small sample of any acryclic paint at home depot. You'll need 2 coats and I would shine a light in the tank while painting my second coat so I can see any spots that let the light through. The acrylic is easy to take off too.

bennyblanco

I used a small sample of any acryclic paint at home depot. You'll need 2 coats and I would shine a light in the tank while painting my second coat so I can see any spots that let the light through. The acrylic is easy to take off too.
Ben, thanks for the tips! Great idea about using a light to help see the imperfections!

Raising Reefs

Premium Sponsor
Krylon Fusion is also at Walmart. I would use any spray paint for the outside since it will not be inside the tank.

catalano

I also used two sample black primer/paint from HD. Then put a acrylic paint over the primer/paint. then had to use a black silicone to cover the seals because the paint won't stick to it. For my next tank I'm going to try the spray on because it seems that's what most people are using with good results. It also took me like 3 coats to cover it.

misenplace101

I use vinyl window tint. It sticks very well and can be removed without scrapping if needed. No fumes and drying time either.

DJE

I used vinyl for my tank and looks really good. I have extra that I can give you if you want it.