CR to get second server!

jrpark22000

Premium member
On the heals of the server move last year (see below link for details) it's proven to be reliable and a well suited home for us to grow on.

http://www.chicagoreefs.com/forums/showthread.php/21207-The-Server-Move-thread

I've been searching for a Disaster Recovery (DR) option for CR for a while. While I maintain all of the Database (containing all your posts, settings, pictures, etc) in triplicate currently, the size of the data will outgrow my ability. After looking into cloud backup services, they were both cost prohibitive (for what they are) and don't all work properly for our hosted VPS (cough, mozypro.)

To truly be diligent in preventing any data loss, a second DR server is needed. It'll be in a separate state, power grid, and internet provider. I won't configure this second server to take over immediately if a problem is encountered on the primary server. Instead, It'll be there as a manual failsafe. It'll house the backups and if needed I can rebuild the site on the second server, repoint the url, (www.chicagoreefs) and get us running in a day.

This is just an FYI to let you all know the behind the scenes details I'm maintaining. The several hundred a year it'll cost is well worth the peace of mind to help protect us from things ranging from software glitches to malicious attacks. I'll post back here with updates.

Happy Reefing CR!