Creating a hybrid

Kamreefer

So i picked up a 48" Aquatic Life t5ho fixture. My plan was to add this to my 90 which has to Chinese Black Box LED boxes problem was ......no room in there so now im left with selling it or creating a hybrid! Creating a half led and t5 to get more of the colors to pop by adding purple plus bulbs etc. im thinking about using the housing of the aquatic life fixture? problem is i never did this before any ideas ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fish_wiz2

It's easier to gut the T5 fixture and just mount the parts to some small 1x2 strips of wood and hang it next to your LED's. Unfortunately you would have to scrap the fixture the T5's sit in as it would be too tight to squeeze both the LED's and T5's in them. If it were a TEK or wider light I could see this hybrid happening.

Kamreefer

Ya i agree im thinking about that now just wondering how id mound them in my canopy its a open canopy with a shelf heres somenpics.......thanks for all the help btw

Also as far as the fans for the Fixture am i still going to have to put them in the canopy then?

Fish_wiz2

If it helps, here's how I mounted VHO's on my old 125. They're on wood strips hung by chains so I could adjust the height at any given time:

Granted I had more space then you, but T5's are skinny. Also if you do end up hanging them below your LED's, you might want to invest in some waterproof endcaps. Don't forget it gets humid in there.

goatous

Check if you remove the center two blubs from your T5 fixture, do you have sufficient space mount the LED between the remaining two outside bulbs? You will lose two bulbs, but it is relatively easy. Your other easy option is to hang the directly below the T5 fixture, but you will block out much of the light from you center bulbs.
For a little more work, cut the T5 down the center lengthwise and stretch it apart and mount the LEDs in the gap.

Kamreefer

I was thinking of mounting the leds in between but how would i do that?

goatous

If it were me, I would drill a hole through the top of the t5 fixture and through the center reflector and put in 4 stainless steel I bolts where your LED mounting bolts are located. (Be mindful of all those wires and don't get them wrapped up in your drill bit) You will need to access the dimmer nob so you will need to have it hang down some and mount your current LED clips to the I bolts.

Kamreefer

Jr woltman that is a sump pad i cut to cover my overflow to prevent algae growth worked like a charm

xj_matt

Premium member
It's easier to gut the T5 fixture and just mount the parts to some small 1x2 strips of wood and hang it next to your LED's. Unfortunately you would have to scrap the fixture the T5's sit in as it would be too tight to squeeze both the LED's and T5's in them. If it were a TEK or wider light I could see this hybrid happening.
I will most likely be doing that this week end to my Tek Fixture

Kamreefer

update the t5 ho led to many problems so now to not waste this purchase completely im going to save the housing and transfer all the leds from my black boxes over im saving the moon lights and the fans on it as well as the ballast for the display . guys any ideas welcome heres the ballast im going to beed help lol

Fish_wiz2

Transfer the LED's only if you can put fans directly on top of where the heat sinks are. Doesn't matter if your drill new holes for the fan on the fixture or if its thin enough, put the fans right over the sinks and use the fans on the T5 housing as exhaust fans. The fans on the T5 housing probably are not spaced correctly as they are there to cool the whole fixture a heat sink.

Kamreefer

ok as wiring goes thats where im stuck the leds are on seperate outlets one blue one white where do i start for the wiring?