Critique this sump design...

FishBeard

Worked up a rough first version for the sump I want to have built for the 180, note that no bracing or lids have been designed, I want to have the tank layed out first. There will be dual reverse durso draining into the 2 bubble pipes, which then flows into dual 4" socks, or possibly a single 7" rectangular sock. This leads to the ample skimmer and reactor pump chamber, media reactors will hang or stand to the left of the sump and drain back into the sock or directly out in front of the skimmer intake. From there thru a 3 pane bubble trap to the return chamber. On the opposite end there will be a reasonable size refuge with a bubble tower which will be fed directly from a tee off the right overflow drain. I'm going a little conservative on the fuge since I plan to run biopellets on this system, and primarily want a place to temporarily hold livestock and propagate pod life, rather than a large fuge for biological filtration. The one thing I did not model as I'm not sure where I want them yet is a probe holder. I'm toying with the idea of running the probes directly from a manifold in the piping system, rather than mounting them in the sump. This design will tweak a little here and there, but any major design flaws anyone sees please share. Sump dimensions are 42"x18"x14" FYI. It's a pretty big tank.

Herbie

Banned
It looks really good and I love the room you have given yourself.

what program are you using for that? I'm trying to learn Blender so I can design my next tank but I don't think that is best for this type of rendering (but the price is right).

FishBeard

This was drafted, modeled and rendered in autodesk inventor 2011. We have 2012 on contract but my company waits until at least 1-2 service packs are released and tested before we upgrade to the current version.

Herbie

Banned
This was drafted, modeled and rendered in autodesk inventor 2011. We have 2012 on contract but my company waits until at least 1-2 service packs are released and tested before we upgrade to the current version.
Thanks. I figured it was some $1000 product, but I thought I would ask. I would LOVE to have a mastery of that software (as you obviously do). :rock:

FishBeard

Lol, mastery of this product. I can work inventor with my eyes closed its so simple, yet I still can't figure out google sketch for the life of me!

FishBeard

i guess that's why they can charge $1000 and google sketch is free!
We are paying a heck of a lot more than $1000 per license for this software. Iirc it's like $7000/yr PER workstation. This does of course include unlimited updates, service packs, and new versions that are released during the contract period. All that so I can tool around on break time and model virtual sumps, LOL!

crny1

Premium member
I have all the 2012 autodesk software and and can't model a stick figure!!!! Dam thing is too complicated nowadays.......I used autocad back in high school (1992) but I have forgot a lot and it has changed a lot!

Oh nice layout and dimensions on the sump!

FishBeard

Well I got my quote back from Anthony, he said around 300 his materials. If I can provide my own domestic produced acrylic for his warranty to be valid, labor alone would be about 130. I have a few quotes out with a couple other acrylic fabrication shops still waiting for numbers.

At this time however, I'm really leaning towards just whipping together a sump from a cheap 40 breeder, as I think my dads company may be getting back into custom woodworking and acrylic fabrications, and im trying to convince him to get into aquatics furniture and tanks/sumps. If he teaches me a few things, I'm going to try tackling this project myself. I don't mind if its not as pretty as the rendering as long as it holds water ill consider it a success.

mlreef

I like the 40 breeder with a dedicated 20 high as a refugium. I have seen a couple tanks setup this way.