Cross Country Move?!?!???!

bennyblanco

So there is a chance that we might be moving to Austin, TX and I'm trying to figure out what I would have to do with my tank. Unfortunately, the best option that I can think of is breaking it down and selling all of the live stock etc. I would clean it up and keep all of the equipment for when we get settled in TX. We would probably have to rent for a year to get the lay of the land and make sure we like it down there before buying a house. I'm wondering if it would be better to sell the whole set up instead of trying to move it twice. I would keep my 9 gallon and set that up in a rental though.....

Anyways I was just curious if anyone has moved cross country and what you did with your tank.

Thanks!
BB

rosko23

I would personally sell it all and start new. Your tank is a fairly popular size... plus then you can go BIGGER!!!

I wish my wifey would let us move to Texas... Ive been trying to convince her to move to Dallas area for years...

Let me know if there is anything I can help with Brett..

goat585

Administrator
I know two people who have tried this and lost almost everything in the process. Both said they wish they sold everything and started new once they got setup.

ColaAddict

I vote sell and start new. Unless you find somebody there to ship livestock to and hold them until you can set your tank up

thinkfuture

I moved with some Live rock, corals, fire shrimp & Yellow Tang in a couple of buckets from Massachusetts to Chicago during January. Fortunately for me in spite of 3 day drive & shuffle, every thing made it well. In fact I still have the frogspawn from over 5 Years ago & the Fire shrimp (my favo) passed about a year ago.
Now that I'm more mature in this hobby, I would not take such a risk. Id certainly re-home all live stock & either have it shipped back after you are all set up or buy new. Buy new frags from local reefers, that way you will be introduced to a new social reefers life in TX.

bennyblanco

Sure.......you guys just want my livestock. ;)

Thanks Guys - that is what I was thinking as well. If we move, I don't really need the extra stress of trying to get everything there and alive and set up when were get there. I would then need to move it again in a year when we buy a house. Yikes. Excited about the possibility of moving but will miss my tank! I'll take my 9 gallon with me so I can at least have something set up down there!

bennyblanco

I would personally sell it all and start new. Your tank is a fairly popular size... plus then you can go BIGGER!!!

I wish my wifey would let us move to Texas... Ive been trying to convince her to move to Dallas area for years...

Let me know if there is anything I can help with Brett..
Thanks Jorge! We'll get down there and then you guys can follow!

dohc97

ill be moving to dallas area this year, what i plan to do is sell most of the reef stuff and probably have some of my friends hold my fish. Our plan is to buy a house pretty much right away and then once we both have stable jobs ill decide if im going to restart the reef. I will also be sellling probably half our stuff so that we dont have to stress with moving a ton of things. We are just keeping the newer stuff, moving my chameleon and dogs.

bennyblanco

ill be moving to dallas area this year, what i plan to do is sell most of the reef stuff and probably have some of my friends hold my fish. Our plan is to buy a house pretty much right away and then once we both have stable jobs ill decide if im going to restart the reef. I will also be sellling probably half our stuff so that we dont have to stress with moving a ton of things. We are just keeping the newer stuff, moving my chameleon and dogs.
That's what I'm figuring as well! Lots of Salvation Army runs and sell off some other stuff. I'll probably end up selling my reef equipment and live stock if this happens. And I have a ton of stuff!

capysolo

I agree with everyone they says sell and start new. Takes all the pressure off of the move. Moving is stressful enough as it is...

bennyblanco

Welp....it looks like this move is coming closer to happening! Very excited but will be heart broken breaking my tanks down. I think I'll sell everything except for my nano equipment. Any suggestions on how to breakdown and sell off a tank?

Also, this is a long shot but might need to find someone to babysit trooper my royal gramma that I've had for 9- 10 years now and ship him down to TX once we get settled.

Brett

erok90

Sorry to hear ur leaving Brett.I have a friend looking for a tank so I'll let him know.lmk when the break down beings.

bennyblanco

Sorry to hear ur leaving Brett.I have a friend looking for a tank so I'll let him know.lmk when the break down beings.

Thanks hector! We're excited for a change but will miss the MidWest! The zoas are doing great and thanks for the tip on the moon lights!

Heading down to Austin on Monday for an interview on Tuesday so we should have an idea of what is happening soon!

If this happens I'll have tons of Lps, zoas, sps, and fish for sale!