crosshatch trigger

epaulette2

i have been thinking about getting one of these guys because some pictures of them look really good. but others look dull. does anyone on this forum have one? is it as pretty as some of the pictures? i know the male looks the best so i am thinking about getting a male. are these triggers hardy? just figured i would see if anyone has any experience with them before i decide whether or not to go through with getting one. i also like niger, kiri, and bluejaws. i have the same questions about the kiri triggers as i do the crosshatch so again if anyone has kiri trigger experience i would like to hear what you have to say.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
I've seen cross-hatches in other tanks and they are stunning! One of my favorite fishes. I've never owned one so I can't comment on their hardiness.

epaulette2

yeah i currently have to nigers and they are great but i want something you dont see very often. i want a kiri since they are white a sargassum would be cool to but i really like the designs of the crosshatch. especially the blue lines on the face.

OldTownJoe

We used to have a full-grown 10' specimen at the store that was AMAZING. But it got a bit aggressive in the 240g tank it was in and would chase around some of the more passive angels, especially at feeding time.

For some reason the only sizes they seem to get collected at are 3-4" or 8-10"... and they both go for the same price wholesale. We have the smaller variety at the moment.

epaulette2

We used to have a full-grown 10' specimen at the store that was AMAZING. But it got a bit aggressive in the 240g tank it was in and would chase around some of the more passive angels, especially at feeding time.

For some reason the only sizes they seem to get collected at are 3-4" or 8-10"... and they both go for the same price wholesale. We have the smaller variety at the moment.
i heard they were collected from 8-10 and 3-4 i thought it was weird but thinking about it there might be a slot size limit or something to keep a healthy stock for spawning in the ocean. what kind of angels were with it? my tank is probably going to be an aggressive fish only tank in the end maybe some soft coral too. how much do you sell crosshatches for if you ordered me one?

ColorMeCorals

I had a pair of them and also a single male. They eat a lot and need a large tank w/ a lot of rocks. They can jump out if you dont have a lid. They ate my shrimp.

epaulette2

i figured they would eat shrimp and stuff. i feed my fish often so they can eat as much as the like if i get one. i have lids. im not taking any chances with a fish jumping out.
are the bigger triggers more colorful than the smaller ones?

jcarlilesiu

Triggers really do depend on the fish.

Our niger actually went after our paired clowns and he had to be re-homed.

Our bluejaw doesn't touch our shrimp, snail, or other inverts.

I am sure you can find horror stories about the crosshatch too, but I really think it depends on the fish. Crosshatch, pink tail, and blue jaw are supposed to be the most "reef friendly", but you have to consider the fish's temperament as well.

epaulette2

yeah i figured that every trigger has its own personality. i have seen pinktails that are mean as can be. there was one i saw it was about 6 inches and it was hitting the tank so hard trying to get at you it was scratching the tank up. i dont want a fish that aggressive. i would love to stumble upon a deal for a crosshatch trigger though.

SkullV

Old Town Employee!! Love it!! That full grown 10" was a beauty!!

Crosshatch, pink tail, and blue jaw are supposed to be the most "reef friendly", but you have to consider the fish's temperament as well.
Also the Sargassum (red tail) and the the Kiri (formerly known as Christmas Islands Deepwater Trigger) triggers are very mild mannered and usually reef safe.

Most any Xanthichthys sp. will be perfectly safe when housed in a reef/community setting.

Cubbies

Gotta remember that Triggers are a hit and miss. And also they are most likely to have the trigger temper.

OldTownJoe

what kind of angels were with it? how much do you sell crosshatches for if you ordered me one?
I don't recall exactly what we had back then. Probably a scribbled and an imperator. I think he went after the streamers on our big blonde Naso.

Expect to pay around $700 for one. I just checked liveaquaria and they say $700 for males and $1200 for the XLG. I think we sold our XLG for $400... which goes to show that online is not always cheaper than your friendly LFS.

Cheers