Crued's WKHMG Custom (Pic Heavy)

Crued

Crued's WKHMG Custom (Pic Heavy) (09/22/15 update)

WKHMG = Who knows how many gallons!?

I have done tanks throughout the years and each time you do some things the right way and learn other ways you'd like to have done things. I have always dreamed of a tank on a first level and all equipment in the basement below. In 2010 I moved into a house with a basement and in 2014 decided to make my dream a reality. I'm super lazy so I don't have every step of the way chronicled, but I will try to show what I've got going on.

This is how it all started. My first floor is an "open concept", which I ended up hating and wanted to close the concept. I had an idea that I wanted a tank that were viewable from every room, but what about this stupid pole?

View attachment 11226

I contacted a structural engineer and had him spec out support for roughly 10,000lbs. He came back with the plans and had a crew that was able to do the work quickly as the ground was frozen. Subsequently I was also going to finish my basement and didn't take pics of the structural support without the framing; sorry.

View attachment 11227

There was already 2 metal beams for the house in this area, so the micro lams were added and then additional joints were run where the tank would be. The framing for the room will be bonus support and was not used in calculating the support.

View attachment 11228

You can sort of see the "fish room" outline of the framing, and the beams in the background of this pic. The fish room has a drain in the floor as well as in the wall, and obviously plumbed with for fresh water. (don't have any pics of that)

View attachment 11229

Tank and stand were designed by me and built by Midwest Custom Aquariums. It is 1" acrylic on all sides. Overflow has a 2" drain and a 1.5" return. Each corner of the top bracing is drilled for 3/4" lockline returns which will be powered by an Oceans Motions 4-way that sits on top of the return pipe (inside the canopy). The stand and canopy are walnut stained naturally and then the accent pieces are walnut stained in a dark color.

I used a local company Bob's Moving Muscle for Hire to go get the tank in Minnesota and then move it into the house.

View attachment 11230

The canopy contains 2 x Radion XR30w Pro and 1 x XR15w Pro for the middle.

View attachment 11231

Here's everything placed and ready to begin the long process of plumbing, etc..... to be continued.

View attachment 11232
View attachment 11233
View attachment 11234

View attachment 11235

Last edited:

cet98

presuming the tank is 36" high, I would estimate it at approximately 470-475 gals...give or take.... :p

interesting layout by the way...:thumb:

Crued

Here are the dimensions that I know about. I've never measured the overflow or the actual angles of the miters.

66” side to side x 42” front to back overall footprint.
11.5” 3 sided post notch out,
23.5” north/south side faces.
North side post to tank outer edge 23.25”.
South side post to tank outer edge 31.25”.
33.5” high (outer dimension)

tinman

presuming the tank is 36" high, I would estimate it at approximately 470-475 gals...give or take.... :p

interesting layout by the way...:thumb:
:D assuming 36inch height my Assumption is more like 275 or so gallons :marchmellow:

tinman

Here are the dimensions that I know about. I've never measured the overflow or the actual angles of the miters.

you are still missing one param for accurate calculation :)

Assuming that total side is 84.5inches ..

then the volume comes to approximately 400 gallons with overflow included :)

View attachment 11237

Last edited:

cet98

with the revised dimensions given, presuming the angles are 45 degrees and not knowing the size of your overflow, I would put you roughly at 310-315 gals...give or take...lol

cet98

you are still missing one param for accurate calculation :)

:p

Crued

with the revised dimensions given, presuming the angles are 45 degrees and not knowing the size of your overflow, I would put you roughly at 310-315 gals...give or take...lol
This is about what I've figured too... 325ish.

tinman

:p
that 66 side to side is with out the triangle area included .. 66= 11.5+23.25+31.25 and on the other hand that 42 includes the triangle area

so if its 45 degree angle the actual side to side would be aroung 84.5 inches :)

which makes the tank (including overflow) about 400 gallons i think :)

cet98

this is presuming 45 degree chamfered corners...don't forget to omit the 1" thickness of the acrylic ;)

If cet's sketch is correct, you have approximately 358.0040584416 gallons. The math behind it is

(9.25*9.25*2-11.5*11.5+9.25*23.5*2+47.5*42) * 33.5 = 82698.9375 cubic inches then use google to convert that to gallons.

Crued

If cet's sketch is correct, you have approximately 358.0040584416 gallons. The math behind it is

(9.25*9.25*2-11.5*11.5+9.25*23.5*2+47.5*42) * 33.5 = 82698.9375 cubic inches then use google to convert that to gallons.
That's a sweet sketch, thanks cet. The only thing missing would be the overflow. The overflow sits in front of the column notch-out. I'm guessing it's 5-6 inches deep (and then 11.5 inches wide).

That's a sweet sketch, thanks cet. The only thing missing would be the overflow. The overflow sits in front of the column notch-out. I'm guessing it's 5-6 inches deep (and then 11.5 inches wide).
Why would the overflow matter in the water volume? Wouldn't it be always just about full?

kdog23

Were the metal beams taken out of the basement before you took the pics ? Just asking as it is interesting when you see a beam on the first floor and wonder what the support system looked like---especially if it was original to the home. It looks like a lot of new framing for sure....

Crued

Were the metal beams taken out of the basement before you took the pics ? Just asking as it is interesting when you see a beam on the first floor and wonder what the support system looked like---especially if it was original to the home. It looks like a lot of new framing for sure....
The metal beams are original to the house. One that runs through the fish tank room (which is basically right smack dab in the middle of the tank) supports that column you see the tank is built around. The other is 5-6 feet further, or about 2-3 feet from the "left" end of the tank. The microlams support the "right" end of the tank. Those metal poles you see embedded in the framing hold the microlams up which then hold the original floor joists and the additional floor joists added for the tank support. The other end of those joists lay on top of the existing metal beams of the house. All the framing you see really has nothing to do with the tank support, it's all part of my basement finishing project.