Cryptocaryon irritans (ICH)

P.Olsen

One thing pretty much every marine aquariust has to contend with is ICH, it is the most common parasite in our tanks. I just wanted to put a little something up about some of the issues, treatments and what to look out for.

Most LFS use low levels of copper in their systems, you may think a fish is completely disease free until after you have had it in your tank for a couple weeks and symptoms start showing up. By the time the symptoms appear the tank is infested and the situation must either be treated or the fish will eventually die from these parasites. By the time you actually see the white dots, the parasites are in their bredding phase and well on their way to spreading to every flat surface, sand, rock, fish, glass, etc.

There are several treatments, most of the effective forms require a hospital/treatment tank to treat. Copper is by far the most effective BUT it is risky. It can be easliy overdosed, it can NOT be used in a tank with corals or inverts as they can not tolerate the levels required to effectivly kill all the parasites. As for the "reef safe" pour in treatments they are really hit or miss and more miss than hit. Hyposalinity is another method, it is when the fish are treated in a lower slainity to kill the parasites, usually between 1.009-1.010 for 14-21 days. This is a effective method but also can not be done in a tank that contains coral or inverts and some fish species as well cannot tollerate salinity that low and even life on LR and LS may die off with those levels. There are many many other treatments and theories as well.

The most effective method to keep ICH out of your tank is to isolate new purchases in a Iso/hospital tank for 3-4 weeks before introducing them into your display. Most people dont have a hospital tank or they think it will require a 2nd complete set up so they never bothered. It can be very cheap to set up a tank, it can be a bare bottom with some pvc pipe to provide hiding places a couple pumps to provide some flow and thats pretty much it. It does not need a skimmer because it would need to be off to medicate anyway. A cheap HOB filter will do fine with reg water changes for the short term and the bare bottom will help keep things stable. The params (unless medicating of course) and temps are kept the same as the display so acclimating will be a piece of cake when the time comes to introduce it into your display.

Tangs are very prone to ICH, the reason is there "slime" coat is thinner than most other species. The reason for this is to allow them to swim for longer times and greater distances grazing for food. You are more likely to introduce ICH with the introduction of a tang than almost any other species.

There are many other opinions on this like any topic in our hobby so the best advise I can give is talk to other people who have delt with the issue, find out what worked and what did not and dont let an advertisment sway you, they are after all trying to sell you their product...

If you loose a bout with ICH, do not put any additional fish into the tank for 8-10 weeks to allow the parasites to run through several cycles, they can not live without a fish host but will still go through several bredding cycles before completely dying off.

lunacris

very good info i had ich on my false perc of all fish not my hippo tang or chromis or any other fish just the clowns used some stuff called ich attack reef safe had no effect on clams coral or any of my shrimp smells like death and looks like poop in ur water but cleared up in a week and also ran a uv for a month just one thing that has worked for me

Pufferpunk

I will not buy from a LFS that uses copper in their system. It's like keeping your body on low amounts of antibiotics all the time. Not only does it weaken the immune system but it also will make it difficult to ever use copper as a treatment if you ever really need it.

jcarlilesiu

The problem that I have with quarantine tanks is the difficulty in keeping a nitrogen cycle established.

It has been rumored that ich can appear in a tank that has no new additions simply because stress increases and the fishs' immune system is unable to fight off the parasite. Under normal and healthy conditions, the ich doesn't pose a threat.

This of course is theory, and in no way am I suggesting that people avoid a quarantine.

I am stating that the few times that I have had a fish showing signs of ich, setting up a quarantine and moving the fish over may have done more harm than good. Even with seeding the HOB filter with some established filter floss from the main system (discarded after quarantine of course) I had trouble keeping ammonia and nitrites down. I had to increase the frequency and amount of water changes to try and keep the ammonia and nitrite at safe levels for the sick specimen.

This in my opinion lead to additional stress on the fish, which may have inhibited its ability to fight the disease in conjunction with medication.

So, I am just wondering, how does everybody set up a quarantine for a new addition, and maintain it over a couple of weeks so that it is safe and not stressful to the fish?

Pufferpunk

Considering that you will be dropping the QT from 1.026 down to 1.009, there is really not way for the bacteria to follow that. Only thing you can do is to be sure the tank is large enough that the fish's waste won't poison it within 24 hours (solution to pollution is dilution) & do daily water changes to keep it that way.

jcarlilesiu

Considering that you will be dropping the QT from 1.026 down to 1.009, there is really not way for the bacteria to follow that. Only thing you can do is to be sure the tank is large enough that the fish's waste won't poison it within 24 hours (solution to pollution is dilution) & do daily water changes to keep it that way.
Do you think that these frequent large water changes and battling ammonia and nitrite cause additional stress to the animal which may affect the success of treatment?

mr_z

I will not buy from a LFS that uses copper in their system. It's like keeping your body on low amounts of antibiotics all the time. Not only does it weaken the immune system but it also will make it difficult to ever use copper as a treatment if you ever really need it.
i never saw it like that. aquatica uses copper in i think all their fish only tanks. hmmmm.

Smitty

Premium member
You're right Mr. Z...there's copper in their FO tanks...and I believe Rob does the same thing, since he did originally come from Aquatica also, so it's their common practice. As long as I've been going there, I've never had a problem with a fish, and I've never had an ich outbreak(knocking on wood). :)

P.Olsen

The problem that I have with quarantine tanks is the difficulty in keeping a nitrogen cycle established.

It has been rumored that ich can appear in a tank that has no new additions simply because stress increases and the fishs' immune system is unable to fight off the parasite. Under normal and healthy conditions, the ich doesn't pose a threat.

This of course is theory, and in no way am I suggesting that people avoid a quarantine.

I am stating that the few times that I have had a fish showing signs of ich, setting up a quarantine and moving the fish over may have done more harm than good. Even with seeding the HOB filter with some established filter floss from the main system (discarded after quarantine of course) I had trouble keeping ammonia and nitrites down. I had to increase the frequency and amount of water changes to try and keep the ammonia and nitrite at safe levels for the sick specimen.

This in my opinion lead to additional stress on the fish, which may have inhibited its ability to fight the disease in conjunction with medication.

So, I am just wondering, how does everybody set up a quarantine for a new addition, and maintain it over a couple of weeks so that it is safe and not stressful to the fish?
I agree that treatment of any type does cause stress but to put it simply, the stress "may" kill the fish, a parasite such as ICH "WILL" kill the fish.....

Not much to debate..

As for a QT tank, I use water right from my display, same temp, params, everything. No more stress than going into a LFS set up and only use different salinity or meds when needed.

Kmiec123

The stress is the only thing that kills the fish in my opinion. I have been witness, talking from personal experience not what I have read online, a powder brown tank loaded with ich dropped right into a health 90 gallon reef system, with 3-4 other tangs mind you, and made a full recovery without any other action other thank providing good habitat with multiple caves and hideouts (It is my belief that most tanks can use about three times the amount of live rock they have in them, the open ocean is a desert in the wild.) and well fed...none of the other tangs showed any signs of Ich. A health fish that is not stressed will not be effected by ich...ich is in the ocean. ;)

Sorry if this is contrary to some of the authors and PHD's....I have not had time to write my book...yet.

gig

I've always been wary to treat my fish. about a month ago, I added a flame wrasse pair to my tank, it was likely maxing out the fish for my 180, there was a little stress upon introduction, but after a few days it calmed down. However, all of my fish are very fat and happy, as were the flame wrasse pair, eating like pigs when I got them. I went the "garlic" and extra feeding route, it's been two weeks, no one died and no sign of ich. Not saying this cured anyone and it's in my tank, but the lack of stress, the garlic to help the slime coat and the extra feeding has done the trick so far. However, I think I am lucky, If the fish in question is not eating great and continues to be stessed, the ich will over come them and kill them.

gig

let me add, when I say "wary of treating", I think it tends to stress them out more, catching them, putting them in a smaller "bare" holding tank, etc.

tavoreef

yes yes i have a 20gl QT with copper and prazipro i do 5gl water changes a day for 3 weeks fish like water changes