Current USA lights

98silverado

So I will be starting a tank very soon again. Will be a 75 and mainly sticking with hammer, torch and Duncan. Maybe a BTA down the road but for now just fish. I was looking at the current orbit light since my wife wants to keep the canopy on the tank and I don’t have a whole lot of room under it for anything else. Was wondering for opinions on the light and any success with it? Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pawel

Premium member
Good lights but they don't produce much par. I had them on my 72g bow front tank (I still have them somewhere in the closet). They are good for shallow tanks. When I have some time I cant trow them on my 90g to check the par.

98silverado

Good lights but they don't produce much par. I had them on my 72g bow front tank (I still have them somewhere in the closet). They are good for shallow tanks. When I have some time I cant trow them on my 90g to check the par.
Thank you. I’m not trying to do any sps or anything so trying to stay budget friendly on the lights. Plus don’t have a lot of room under the canopy for lights.

98silverado

That’s when I had it as fresh thinking I would settle but didn’t work lol

daid

Personally. I love my t5's. Can buy cheap amazon grow lights 48" for less than 100 dollars 4 or 6 bulb. 4 or 6 ATI bulbs for 15 dollars each. 160 dollars you could be done for a few years and never have to worry about anything. This is my sps tank under t5's perfect. I am still running my first set of ATI bulbs 1 year later without any par loss.

Attachments

Last edited:

98silverado

Personally. I love my t5's. Can but cheap amazon grow lights 48" for less than 100 dollars 4 or 6 bulb. 4 or 6 ATI bulbs for 15 dollars each. 160 dollars you could be done for a few years and never have to worry about anything. This is my sps tank under t5's perfect. I am still running my first set of ATI bulbs 1 year later without any par loss.
That looks really nice! I’m personally just a fan of the color of led. As much as I would love to do sps again I just don’t have the patience lol.

Ikaros70

Current USA are decent entry level lights but you will most likely need to upgrade eventually.
I would recommend getting the best lights budget allows up front, that way you’re not spending more $$$ later.
One and done is the idea.
I originally purchased current USA fixture for my 210, over the years I ended up having to upgrade that light fixture extensively.
New ballasts, etc. in time, just wasn’t powerful enough to support my needs.
As someone already mentioned, in stock form they are not the best PAR.
Eventually, you will most likely want to start keeping coral that requires the higher PAR values. I said the same thing originally, it will change eventually, lol! You’ll see that smoke show SPS and want it, lol!
Also, some LPS like higher PAR.

I am in the process of rebooting my tank now, it crashed years ago and I lost everything, I just needed a break after that and next thing you know, it’s years later. Luckily I kept my 210 and all the equipment, everything is crazy expensive now compared to what it was 5+ years ago. $$$$ it’s been that long, time fly’s by and doesn’t wait for you, lol!