Cycling Question

dgagvgeg

Okay so i started cycling my tank on Nov 29th, I did happen to use Dr Tim's One and Only, I followed the directions on the bottle added Ammonia Chloride (other dr tims stuff). I have tested my water every 2 days. Last night there was pretty much 0 Ammonia, but my Nitrites are still very high I am guessing between 3-5ppm, but hard to tell with crappy API test kits. The instructions on Dr. Tim's website say that i should not add Ammonia again till both ammonia and Nitrites are down to under 0.5ppm. My question is, if there is 0 ammonia won't the bacteria that creates nitrites start to die off? Should i add more ammonia? Which in theory would raise my Nitrite levels even higher? Or should i just continue waiting on the Nitrites to drop below .05ppm like the instructions say?

Off topic question.
I started tank with live sand (caribsea), and dry rock (Marco's Rocks). I had ordered the e-marco 400 kit which is basically a bonding agent for the rocks. But after i ordered it they decided to tell me that the kit was on backorder. Well i received it in the mail last night and the rocks have been in the tank over 2 weeks now. After reading instructions I can put it on when the rock is wet and only takes 20 mins to cure before i can put back into the water, will it be safe out of the water for 20 mins or will the beneficial bacteria die off the rocks in that time? I really want to secure the rocks but not sure i want to break the cycle pattern and have to start all over again as well. thank you

IHaveCrabs

Premium member
For the Second question, use newspaper wet from your tank and cover your rocks when gluing. That will minimize any die off.

I'll let others chime in on your other questions. Me, I'd throw a shrimp in there to keep things going but I have never used dr Tims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk