D90 or D7000 ..... and D40 value?

bennyblanco

We'r getting ready to purchase a new body. We're looking at the D90 or the D7000 (On sale for $899.00). Which one do you guys like better?
We already have a Nikon 50mm f/1.4D AF Nikkor Lens. Will this auto feature work with this lens?

Also, we currently have a D40. Any idea if we can sell it and what it would be worth?
Thanks!
Brett

Tangency

D90 v D7000...

I guess it depends on what you're looking to do. I think the d7000 has a much improved movie mode and image resolution. The d90's movie/live view is not all that great. You also may be able to get a good deal on the d90 being that it is an older model.

I think you could probably get 200~250 for the D40

If you like... I can stop by with my D90 and you and your wife can mess around with it and see if it has all the features you need.

bennyblanco

D90 v D7000...

I guess it depends on what you're looking to do. I think the d7000 has a much improved movie mode and image resolution. The d90's movie/live view is not all that great. You also may be able to get a good deal on the d90 being that it is an older model.

I think you could probably get 200~250 for the D40

If you like... I can stop by with my D90 and you and your wife can mess around with it and see if it has all the features you need.
Thanks Jeff! See this Bonsai frag is already paying off! I'll pm you about some times!
Brett

dajcadams

That's funny as I just went through the exact same thing a couple weeks ago. My D40 is already on Craigslist for sale. The D90 is an amazing camera and there are some real good refurb deals on adorama right now. I picked up a D7000 and I love it. The D7000 has a brand new sensor (compared to the D90) that has the same quality as the D700. Buying the D90 and spending the difference on lenses isn't a bad idea at all. I picked up the D7000 for the advanced user controls as I always shoot in manual mode. The dual SD card slots is nice too. Keep in mind that the D7100 is supposed to be out at the end of this month. I don't think I'll relist my D40 if it doesn't sell though. I love that camera and it's a great backup or a gift to my 13 year old maybe in the future.

bennyblanco

Thanks, great to hear! We ended up buying the D7000! Should be here today.
Might have to hit you up from some tips!
Brett

That's funny as I just went through the exact same thing a couple weeks ago. My D40 is already on Craigslist for sale. The D90 is an amazing camera and there are some real good refurb deals on adorama right now. I picked up a D7000 and I love it. The D7000 has a brand new sensor (compared to the D90) that has the same quality as the D700. Buying the D90 and spending the difference on lenses isn't a bad idea at all. I picked up the D7000 for the advanced user controls as I always shoot in manual mode. The dual SD card slots is nice too. Keep in mind that the D7100 is supposed to be out at the end of this month. I don't think I'll relist my D40 if it doesn't sell though. I love that camera and it's a great backup or a gift to my 13 year old maybe in the future.