DB 80 Plumbing Advice

Irsug1

Premium member
Friends, I picked up a Deep Blue 80 and it came with the stock plumbing kit. So a couple of things I need advice on please.

1. The bulkheads that came with it, the threads look stripped. I read other posts of replacing them with BRS ABS bulkheads due to their low quality. However I do not see any bulkheads with barbs? I don't want to hard plumb this either as I will be moving it and plumbing into a larger system someday.

2. The Durso standpipe is only 13" tall to the air hole on top, 10" tall to the top of the 90Degree elbow and the tank is 16 tall. Shouldn't it be taller like 15"ish? I understand that it is a full siphon but if the water level is over the air hole? Or is the water level going to be that low inside the return, while maintain a higher water level in the tank? Ideally I would like the water level to be around 14.5" inside the tank. Is this possible or normal with the stock plumbing and measurements I described?

I know a few of you have DB 80's. Please offer advice or any other information that may be useful. Thank you in advance.

Neebles

I'm no expert but you may need to use a section of hard pipe coming out of the bulkhead then use flex after that.... It doesn't have to be very long, just long enough for you to do what you need to do to get the flex on there. As far as the standpipe height, yeah the air hole definitely needs to be above water level...mine is height adjustable, are you sure you can't twist and pull or anything to adjust the height? Please note I do not have a DB tank so my thoughts may be completely irrelevant.

Last edited:

Irsug1

Premium member
I have a 57 with an adjustable stand pipe but this one is fixed. I'll keep in mind about pvc and hose.

maidia

Team CR
Better buy new bulkheads , Aquarium adventure have very good section of bulkheads and all connections you need..I m not bought from AA but found some connection in Menards and fit well for me. ALso I can take it out and plumbing to new system later if I want..

For number 2 question, mine already cut and hook up and only around 14 - 14.5" inside the tank so I have no answer for that.

Neebles

Shoot, I'm on my way to Texas now for the week, but when I get back I would be willing to pick up and mail you some bulkheads from sho tank if need be

Irsug1

Premium member
Thanks guys I got all my plumbing needs at Aquatica! I did call sho tank and AA they didn't have everything I needed.
A build post will be coming soon. .
Thanks everyone