Decaying spots on large Toadstool

jcarlilesiu

Hey Everyone,

Tammy and I are having a problem with our large sarcophyton or toadstool coral. It has developed yellow splotches the last day or so which are now starting to look like growths. A concentrated flow from a turkey master causes the growth to fall off.

These spots are on the stalk as well as the crown. The pops have not come out since they appeared. Any ideas?

These pictures were taken after trying to get the growths off.

All of this popped up in just a couple days.

Sent on tapatalk for Android

Cubbies

Oh wow! No idea. Was about to say that it looked like somebody had been picking at it until I read the last part.

Stonefish13

I'm not certain but it looks like something is eating away at it. Maybe some sort of nudibranch or parasite or something. Do you have a magnifying glass to look closely at it?

Pufferpunk

Try a Lugol's dip.

Possibly an allelopathic problem of some sort. Do you have other leathers in there? Are you using carbon or Purigen?

jcarlilesiu

We have a finger coral, a colt, and another small species variety of a leather coral green sarco.

Not running any carbon.

Thinking its chemical warfare?

scotty

that is classic chemical, run some carbon asap.

don't outrule a parasite, but if you haven't added anything recently, and this is new, probably chemical.

Pufferpunk

In any tank where you have more than one Sarcophyton sp., you must run carbon & keep it fresh. I prefer Purigen myself--just ordered 3 new bags of it.

Stonefish13

Most lfs carry Lugols. I use it for dipping new corals and after I frag corals. It is a great product. I also use it for weekly dosing. I would try a dip for sure it can't hurt.

scotty

oh no doubt, but you might get that healed before it starts decaying, which it will soon, pretty deep cuts.

Pufferpunk

I bought this finger sinularia & either I missed it or it happened pretty quickly:

It's the 1st time I took a blade to a coral. I was sure I was gonna kill it. I cut out a big chunk of good flesh, along with the rotting part & it healed just fine. In your case if it keeps getting worse, a lot of small frags may be in order.

Stonefish13

Leathers are very resilient. You can cut them in as many pieces as you want and as long as your water is good they will all be fine. I would try a dip first but if the decaying starts to get bad I would definitely try to cut some of the decaying flesh off. You may have to either start the carbon right away or get rid of your other leathers.

Pufferpunk

I keep a multiple leather & very mixed reef & have never had any issues with chemical warfare. (Have plenty of other issues though! LOL) I do think this is due to the Purigen I use & keep fresh.

jcarlilesiu

It's odd that if it is chemical, it is starting now. All sacros have been in the tank together for months. I have even been doing more frequent water changes about 25% weekly.

I will run carbon ASAP. Thanks all. If I can't turn it around, who wants frag, this thing was beautiful.

Sent on tapatalk for Android

Pufferpunk

You never know when this sort of thing is going to start. They may have all just grown to the size where they felt it was time to attack. Survival of the fittest, especially in a glass cage.

Stonefish13

Yep corals can be quite unpredictable that's for sure. I think the carbon will do the trick though. It should remove all the chemicals as long as you keep it fresh and that way you can keep all your corals happy and healthy. Good luck.

jcarlilesiu

So I wake up this morning, and it sat in a new spot over night closer to the front of the tank after I cleaned him up.

THis morning, he is not as stiff and more spread out and his little polyps are out everywhere except where there was those growths. Haha. Poor thing.
It is trying to be happy, but it looks pathetic.

Ill get carbon after work today and nurse him back to health.

Thanks again everybody.