Decaying spots on large Toadstool

bluethumb

I agree with a dip. Lugols or REvive would be my suggestions. Also, heavy water flow may help this leather rid itself of this "parasite"

jcarlilesiu

We did the dip a couple of days ago, added carbon to the tank, and did a large water change today.

Sadly, the leather was not improving.

Additionally, our multi-head frogspawn is not looking good.

Doing some research, I am starting to think that the large toadstool was aggrevated for some reason which was causing these scabs, and as such was aggressvily releasing toxins in an effort to protect himself.

Regardless, the toadstool was thrown out today. It isn't worth the risk of the toadstool completely dying and fouling the tank causing a crash, or is it worth losing my LPS corals that are starting to look unhappy.

Hopefully I made the right decision. As it was progressivly getting worse, I thought attempts at nursing the toadstool back to health entailed too much risk.

Cubbies

Regardless, the toadstool was thrown out today. It isn't worth the risk of the toadstool completely dying and fouling the tank causing a crash, or is it worth losing my LPS corals that are starting to look unhappy.
Well you did what you thought was best. I probably would've done the same. Sorry to hear it couldn't make it though. Puffers idea would've worked too. But don't know if you have a QT. Either way you did what you had to do. Now focus on your LPS, would hate to loose them! Good luck to you and hope your tank gets up to normality soon!

jcarlilesiu

Yeah, I would have liked to frag it out. We don't however have a full time QT up, nor really any good place to put one long term while the frags grow out. Our QT is very temporary and is set up only when getting new stock or what something exhibits issues. I don't want to leave it up for a duration of time to let frags grow out.

That and it was tough to find a good 2" x 2" portion of the crown that didn't have bad tissue.

Oh well.. as of today the frogspawn looks happier and is already starting to puff up a little more than he had been. I hope that was the issue.

Cubbies

Oh well.. as of today the frogspawn looks happier and is already starting to puff up a little more than he had been. I hope that was the issue.
Yep, looks like that might've been the problem. The stool was probably releasing toxins. Well glad to hear their coming back! :jester: