Deep Blue EDGE 57 Rimless Mixed Reef Build

beetlenut33

Premium member
Hello, Chicago Reefs! I am starting a new build thread to document the progress on my new build. This is my first build, ever, I have owned all in one nano tanks since 2007.

I started building my stand with the help of fellow members of the CR community.

I decided to build the stand out of 3/4" birch plywood. All strips are 5.75" wide.

View attachment 18182

The overall dimensions of the stand are 37.5" wide by 19.5" deep by 36" tall.

View attachment 18183

Tonight, I plan on sanding and staining my stand. Pictures to follow.

beetlenut33

Premium member
I had a few hiccups in the stand build this week. Had some leveling issues with the pieces where the tank is supported. I cleared them up by removing all the small support pieces, planing the top of the stand to remove any major height differences in the wood, and then installing a single large piece of plywood to support the weight of the tank.

I was able to stain and paint the stand with my dad's help. I plan on drilling holes in the top plywood to allow access to the plumbing.

Here is a photo of where the tank will be located in my condo along with some other equipment.

View attachment 18227

beetlenut33

Premium member
I was able to build my sump today. I purchased a 20 gallon long from PetsMart for $15. I had some double strength glass cut at ACE Hardware for a about $20. After buying silicone, spent around $40 total for this build. This is my first time building a sump, so it isn't perfect. I will try cleaning the excess silicone with a razor blade after it cures.

I spaced the over and under baffles a little too close together. I can't fit my hand between them.

Here's a photo of the competed sump:

View attachment 18349

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beetlenut33

Premium member
Here are some updated pics of the tank! Sorry for the bad quality, I am working on improving my photography skills.

Last edited:

beetlenut33

Premium member
Thanks to [MENTION=1455]Sawdonkey[/MENTION], I added some new SPS this week:

BC Therman's Rainbow

ORA Spongodes

Wet Thumbs Mother of Pearl

BC Glowstik Acro

BC June Ruby

Vivid's Rainbow Delight

BC Ponape Rainbow

BC Garys Yellow Slimer

Older, recent additions, thanks [MENTION=1658]Rcunning8[/MENTION]:
Pro Corals Rainbow Acro

Peach Digitata Monitpora is starting to grow very well in the new tank:
Peach Digitata

Here are a few of my fish:

True Percula Clownfish

Potter's Angelfish

Two Spot Bristletooth Tang

beetlenut33

Premium member
I've been seeing some good growth on all my new additions.

I also noticed that most of my pieces have lost some of their vibrant colors and look bleached. Does that indicate my lighting is too high? I have the intensity of my Radions at 55%.

Parameters:
Alk 9.2 dKh
Calcium 550 ppm
NO3 0 ppm

jp_75

not an expert but 55% seems high for radions.it very strong for light! i believe i heard a lot of people keep it it at 20-25%.
btw,dealing with similar issue and wanna see what others say

beetlenut33

Premium member
I turned the intensity down to 50%.

What are your nutrient levels at? I think it may be also due to the fact that my NO3 and PO4 are 0 ppm. I may be starving my coral.

I am considering taking my GFO offline and also removing my filter socks to dirty up my tank a little.

I also feed like crazy too.

not an expert but 55% seems high for radions.it very strong for light! i believe i heard a lot of people keep it it at 20-25%.
btw,dealing with similar issue and wanna see what others say

beetlenut33

Premium member
Had a loss this weekend. I lost my BC Glowstik Acro overnight.

I tested calcium, alkalinity, temperature, PH and magnesium and everything looked normal and stable.

I decided to take my GFO and carbon reactor offline. I will only run them on an as needed basis. I hope this helps and prevents any future RTN.

labas39

Had a loss this weekend. I lost my BC Glowstik Acro overnight.

I tested calcium, alkalinity, temperature, PH and magnesium and everything looked normal and stable.

I decided to take my GFO and carbon reactor offline. I will only run them on an as needed basis. I hope this helps and prevents any future RTN.
I don't think anyone, scientist or expert reefer, knows why acros just RTN. Just hope it's the only one.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I don't think anyone, scientist or expert reefer, knows why acros just RTN. Just hope it's the only one.
Agreed. I've had plenty of unexplainable losses. The best you can do is to keep things stable on the appropriate ranges.

beetlenut33

Premium member
Last week, I made some new additions to the tank. All photos were taken with iPhone 7 under normal lighting, and here they are:

Poletti yellow tip

Frag Farmers Red Robin

Forest Green Psammacora

Replacement for the BC Glowstik Acro I lost recently.

After borrowing the CR PAR meter this week, I measured my lighting intensity to be too low. I was at 55% intensity, but decided to slowly ramp up to 75% intensity over the next 2 weeks using the acclimation timer in EcoSmart Live. I hope the increased PAR will increase my growth rate.

beetlenut33

Premium member
I just got a new macro lens today, and it is A LOT easier to take closeups of my fish now.

I added two new fish on Monday:

Leopard Wrasse

Ruby Head Fairy Wrasse

And after finally figuring out manual white balance, a proper full tank shot:

beetlenut33

Premium member
Over the past few weeks, I have noticed the color on my SPS has been improving. I am starting to get more pronounced purples and greens.

Also, new growth has started to appear on my frags which I had not seen grow in months. My tank must be continuing to mature and my water is stabilizing.

In other news, I recently got married in Mexico and got back last week. I left my tank unattended for 8 days with a large top off container for my ATO, an automatic feeder and an internet webcam. Thankfully, everything went smoothly and I didn't have any issues other than an algae outbreak and dirty glass. I used the webcam to monitor my tank while in Mexico. Here is a pic of the video feed: