Derimming a Cube

elite01

Well guys I've been looking at the tank after going hoodless and the trim around the tank is just irking me. I want to do what others have done and derim it but I'm still a little hesitant. Anyone have some advice for me or a little tip before I take the plunge

zportell

ummm dont. :)

Anytime you remove the rim of a tank you take away the structural integrity of it therefore putting at risk, everything inside of the tank. Why not just buy a rimless cube or have one made?

Siebo

Premium member
I think he is talking about a biocube. If that is the case talk to [MENTION=814]tinman[/MENTION] he did his and it looked great and is safe.

elite01

Yep I was referring to the cube. I've seen plenty people do it I just wanted any tips or input. Btw thank you Chad you gave me some very interesting ideas.

trackfast

Princess Trainer
I've never done a cube but I derimmed a few 20g longs. I used a hacksaw to start the process and then razor blades to get thru the silicone. If the glass edges are rough you can use sandpaper to smooth it down.

zportell

i just saw a few posts on it via different forums.. looks to me that the appeal of the rimless look is desired. With that being said, the posts that I read, here is the latest stating in the comments that it's difficult to keep water in while doing maintenance to the tank..

Etiher way.. Good luck!

zportell

I've never done a cube but I derimmed a few 20g longs....

Says Cray Cray Victor... I don't have the "you know what's" to remove the rim of a tank. Im afraid I would either break the glass or much worse, the glass break when it's filled. My wife would kill me if that happened.

elite01

http://www.chicagoreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?18607-20g-long-Feb-2014-reboot

My rimless 20g. It goes well with my 75 rimless but I don't recommend derimming a 75!
Damn nice setup Vic. I know for sure yours was riskier than mine is since mine is a solid piece of glass with one on the back. That definitely takes some gonads. Kudos. I've been talking to Chad and Krishna and I'm taking the plunge, if it goes south then lesson learned. I'll snap some pics of the progress