DI and RODI

Arthur

I have a reef tank for over 6 years. The only problem I have is some of my SPS not grow and die with time. It is like when I buy 2 frags 1 will die. I know that can be many reasons but you think one of them can be because I use DI water?

ColaAddict

DI is actually what you want to use or RODI. Something else is causing your SPS to die. Can you post all your water parameters so we can help you out, including age of your tank and what you got in there. Are you using GFO and Carbon?

Pufferpunk

According to your other post, you just started using the RODI? It'll take some time & WC, to switch over in your tank. What kind salt are you using? SG? NO3? Lighting?

Arthur

Yes you right I just started to use RODI system. But I really do not want to. What makes me mad is all that waste water. So what I was asking you guys is do I need RODI water for SPS or DI is enaugh? Still have DI filter. I know there might be other reasons but is this one of the issue for sure. I have a reef 125 with 6 fishes. Light 150w MH and T5s. Amonia, Nitrate, Nitrite-0, Alk.-9 dKH or 3 mq/l. MAG- 1260, Ph-8.2, Cal-460. So for SPS RODI water is a must or DI is good enaugh? Thanks a lot! I use carbon

ColaAddict

You will very, very quickly exhaust your DI resin if you don't use RO first, and DI resin will get expensive very, very easily. I collect the waste water in another big trashcan and just use that to water my plants. The waste water has alot of goodies in it for plants.

FishBeard

I don't have to worry about the waste water, my water service is packaged into my fixed rate association bill every month. If i did have to worry about it, a cheap rain barrel for waste water would be outside my garage collecting waste to water the bushes and flowers...

fastrc

I run my system 24 hours a day making water, Luckily im on a well system and it doesn't cost me except for the pump kicking on to pressurize it. My tanks go through 10 to 15 gallons a day then i do cleaning alot so i use up 75 or more gallon a week on it, My ro system makes 15 gallons a day.

Arthur

I run RODI filter for 15 hours. I checked water for Phosfate. It is 0. My old DI system when I checked shows 0 too. Just try to convinced myself that DI is stiil good for my reef. I made like 25 gal. RODI in 15 hours. 25 gallons with my DI can make in 15 min. I have that filter for 3 years maked like 3000 gal. I added sediment filter from Menards to take worst staff.