Did I just ruin my RODI unit?

1fishjones

Premium member
A few quick questions please. My units accidentally been run with only the hot water side for at least three hours.
Does anyone know if it's ruined? I'm stuck at home, our bathroom is being tiled & don't have a TDS meter. Plus I need to make a batch of SW asap.
If you do think it will be ok should I throw out this batch and start over.
The unit isn't a year old yet, I figure somewhere between 800 & 1000 gallons went through it.

Thanks,
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigKev23

How hot was the water? I've read that anything over 100 degrees can melt the RO membrane.

How did hot water get thru the RO? Are you running from a sink?

Last edited:

1fishjones

Premium member
Ok thanks everyone, I'm not sure about the temperature but it was the hot side only. I've had contractors here all week so things have been crazy & I have no idea how the hot side got turned on.
I could have bumped it myself, I'll just have to find a meter

I did the same thing with mine but it was longer than 3 hours. I guess I got lucky as the TDS still reads close to 0 but def something to test.

xj_matt

Premium member
A few quick questions please. My units accidentally been run with only the hot water side for at least three hours.
Does anyone know if it's ruined? I'm stuck at home, our bathroom is being tiled & don't have a TDS meter. Plus I need to make a batch of SW asap.
If you do think it will be ok should I throw out this batch and start over.
The unit isn't a year old yet, I figure somewhere between 800 & 1000 gallons went through it.

Thanks,
Mike

I did the same thing to mine and I did not run again it till I got my tds Metter and everything was fine I made 5g of rodi water too after testing I was at 0 tds

Last edited:

1fishjones

Premium member
I'm really hoping it checks out. I'm not in a position to buy another good one right now and I don't want to pick up a cheap one that won't do the job either. Would you know if one TDS meter is better than another or a good place to pick one up.

Thanks!

Mjl714

Ok thanks everyone, I'm not sure about the temperature but it was the hot side only. I've had contractors here all week so things have been crazy & I have no idea how the hot side got turned on.
I could have bumped it myself, I'll just have to find a meter

1fish, I've got a handheld tds meter you can borrow.

hahmedr1

I remember hooking up the hot line for a batch of ro accidentally and the ro unit was still producing 0 ppm

1fishjones

Premium member
Wait till y'all hear this one. Turns out I already have a TDS meter, it came with a Zero water filter we picked up a few years ago. Unbelievably, even though I have used it several times I didn't put two & two together until I saw it pictured online.
Yikes! Sometimes I really scare myself.
Anyway thank God it's worked out & the water test at Zero.
After all is said and done hopefully at the least this thread will help someone in the future.

Thanks again everyone,
1braindeadreefer

Buckeye Hydro

Anything over 113F voids the warranty on a (Filmtec) membrane. Just for reference, most people can't handle sticking their hand in anything over about 108F or so.

Russ