Did I screw up drilling?

jrpark22000

Premium member
looks like the hole is 3/4 of the way up the back or more and it's a 24" cube or maybe 24x24x20? Either way, the chips are large no doubt. Being a rimless, it looks like 3/8" or 1/2" glass. If you are 1/2" there is little chance the span will bow enough to cause a crack, even 3/8" won't bow much.

madjoe

Premium member
It will be fine ive seen bigger chips then that id worry more about location and being rimless. Just make sure theres bo pressure on the plumbing i cant tell how far down away from edge u r but most likely your fine

Kamreefer

thanks guys so as long as the gasket covers the chips inside the tank im ok right? lol the gasket does go on the inside right?

Tonyssrx

Premium member
I think you will have problems I take it you drilled from the outside in ? Which you should drill from the inside out. What I think you should do get your self another piece of glass 4x4 or so and drill another hole identical size and silicone it over the hole from the inside. Then put the bulk head through both Good luck keep us posted

Last edited:

madjoe

Premium member
thanks guys so as long as the gasket covers the chips inside the tank im ok right? lol the gasket does go on the inside right?
Yea goes on the inside lol ive drilled bunch of tanks most come out clean but few chipped like that and was fine i always drill outside in easier to keep drill straight

I had that happened to one of the hole I drilled in my 65g. As long as your gasket cover it you should be good. What I did as extra precaution was I siliconed the outter rim of the bulkheads after I tighten it down just so it will create a water tight seal. My tank is not rimless though so I don't know if it the glass in yours will hold. Best of lucks!

FraginReeferHead

Many drilling jokes to be made here, But i'll refrain from being that guy (this one time). Looks like your drill bit was bouncing around a bit or you whent in a bit uneven and tried to correct it. Did you tape the glass off before drilling?

A wider gasket with silicone should be ok IMO since its just chips and not cracked.

My 2 cents.