Dino in my tank what can i do?

jfarris1976

My tank is cycling and in the midst of this Dino has set in. Is there something I can do or should I just let it go until my cycles? What CAN I do about it?

jm23

Do you have a skimmer? If so I suggest leaving your lights on during cycling allowing algae and bacteria to eat up your excessive phosphates and spitting them out of the skimmer as they die. It makes for an ugly tank, but you get the ugly phase of a new tank over with quicker and with not livestock in the tank to be worried about. It also allows you to learn how your tank runs, temperature wise, if you are use MH or T5 and whether you need a chiller or not. Have fun.

Thedg

Dino is a pain, honestly if your still cycling I would nuke the live rock and start again. I had dinoflagellates about 90 days after cycling, I had to do a complete blackout for 5 days and elevated my ph during the blackout. It was not fun.

Tgunz127

+1 I would just start fresh if u are still cycling ... Alot easier to deal with when there is no livestock involved

ColaAddict

Research hydrogen peroxide and dinoflagellates. It works. And you dont have to worry about livestock reaction to it. I think its 1ml per 10 gallons per day of the 3% solution.

poidog

It's not Dino. If you're just cycling its more than likely cyano or snotty diatoms. This is typical new tank syndrome.