dinos and cyano and bubbles oh my!

Pfisherman

So, I have cyano for sure in my DT and I believe also dinos. I have removed and scrubbed all the rock twice and it comes back pretty quick, like a week or two. I was at petco last night and picked up some chemi-clean and threw it in according to the directions and my skimmer started freaking out. How long until it calms down? Im nervous about it because the cup was about half full of skimmate. So mad. im also doing a 3-day blackout starting this morning, the tank is covered with brown paper bags and the fuge light is off as well.

Thoughts?

lunacris

should have turned off the skimmer when you dosed per instructions i think . also wc after couple days and retreat if needed . i only treated once and when algae started to die off i manually removed and havnt had slime issue since . i do recall i had to readjust skimmer and let it run wet for a while with wc to remove the treatment . after few days . good luck

Pfisherman

should have turned off the skimmer when you dosed per instructions i think . also wc after couple days and retreat if needed . i only treated once and when algae started to die off i manually removed and havnt had slime issue since . i do recall i had to readjust skimmer and let it run wet for a while with wc to remove the treatment . after few days . good luck
Yeah the directions said that it could start over coaming and that it would need to be adjusted. I just wasnt expecting a bubble bath lol

cet98

you need to "open" your skimmer's gate value fully and remove any carbon, or turn off carbon reactor pump, for 48hrs....after that you need to do a 40% WC and resume carbon and skimmer...forget the blackout period....that's a useless temporary fix IME.....

I hope you siphoned out as much of the cyano as you could before you started treatment...it would make for greater success...

Last edited:
i don't think you have dinos if you scrub them off and it takes them 2 weeks to come back...try 1-2 hours - that's how fast they reproduce...the only way for you to get them to go away for 2 weeks at a time is to do a 3-5 day blackout at which point they will seemingly go away but always come back and they come back with a vengeance...each subsequent lights out period you do not only stresses out your corals but also shortens their hiding period...if you have otreopsis, they form cysts at which point they can remain dormant for months without any sort of light...first thing you need to do is make sure you have dinos to begin with then you need to figure out which strain you have as there are over 2000 of them...then you find the correct treatment...some are susceptible to 1mg/10gallons of H2O2 daily, some can get eradicated by pouring your collected skimmate back into the water, some just go away on their own after your tank's parameters balances themselves out again, there have been reports about raising pH to 8.5, and some take a lot more drastic measures...there are also some reports that Fauna Marin Ultra Algae X, DinoXal, and Kordon Ich Attack work...but again, most of these treatments coincide with a particular strain and you'd be shooting in the dark if you don't even know what you have

i can suggest one thing though that may work for all known cases - get an oversized UV sterilizer...and when i say oversized, i mean get one for a pond...dinos like to retreat into the water column when lights go out and that is when they can be put through the UV sterilizer at low flow...3 day blackout plus oversized UV sterilizer and you got dead dinos (along with all your other microfauna)...it's a hail mary procedure that's worked for a few people now that have tried it including myself