Disheartened

Lost over a $1000 of high end SPS coral in under a week. I have been keeping reefs for 15 years and SPS for about 5 years and delved into high end SPS this last year. My coral have always shown excellent health and polyp extension along with out of this world color. I was so proud of my tank and the compliments I received from visitors was icing on the cake. Since I have upgraded tanks to a 50 gallon, my SPS have taken a hard hit. I matched water parameters exactly and swapped over only to wake up to a apex message that my tank dropped to 72 degrees because I forgot to hook up my auto topoff and the heater shut down.
All the hard work to get my SPS to this point only to watch them rtn and wither away from a bad night. I'm not kidding, I want to cry like a little girl.....The amount of money I have spent to get to this point is astounding. I told my wife, a tank should add enjoyment not stress.

I've been there it sucks, it actually drove me out of the hobby for 8 years. Now I look back and realize how much I learned from it, it just didn't seem like a learning experience at the time.

ninjamyst

Premium member
that sucks. i had several partial tank crash before and it is not fun. hope you don't leave the hobby because of this setback. why would heater shut off due to lack of ATO?

tinman

This i the exact reason i like to keep things as simple as possible ( and some what manual) than totally automating and let the machine decide what to do.

but yes thats the name of the game buddy .. it all grows so well till a point and then boom crash happens... dont let it keep you down buddy .. knowledge we gain is more important in this hobby .. re do stuff you dont like and start it back up .. thats all we can do :)

good luck and sad to hear what happened .

BigKev23

Sorry to hear. I lost a lot of high end SPS last year due to my work demands. Now that I have a new job, I have rebooted my tank and am sticking with LPS for now until I feel like getting back into SPS.

Can you move the heater to a chamber that doesn't have evap?

Paulip

Sorry for your loss.

Being new to the hobby, I try not to get into SPS keeping. It seems you guys are running your low nutrient tanks at a razor's edge. Much like a corporate IT infrastructure, you need all kinds of backups, redundancies and tedious procedures.

The hobby is very rewarding when you have your tank flourish. Take a break and get back on the horse when your ready.

carpetreef75

Premium member
Sorry to hear bro, and agree on the no stress part dont get discouraged .... these corals can be disheartening but i get p.m.s like this that make me think differently

I do not understand why you are so worried about the coral losing color over the move. I have moved many a tank and never lost coral. Yes it may lose some color but once the light is back on them and they get settled they color right back up. You can shut off a light and the coral will lose color in that area. Turn it back on and a month later your back in the color.

I had the SPS was out of the water for a while. Went into a rubermaid for a couple days with bubblers. MAYBE I lost one or two pieces. Rod was the one that pointed out a long time ago SPS is a lot more durable than people think. I moved Jglakins from RC's tank over a 5 day period and did not lose a single coral. Yes they lost color. No they did not go white and rtn. What kills them is screwed up parameters in the tank.

Thanks guys.... I need automation with my job. I have a 250 watt heater on there now and the length prevents it from angling it lower in the water. I'm going to put a 100 watt heater in there as a backup now. I'm pretty upset today and if it wasn't for the clownfish I have had for over 10 years, I probably would have broke the tank down and put it in the garage for a long break.

98silverado

I just had something similar happen except my temp didn't drop, it went sky high

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Sorry to hear this. The highs are high and the lows are tough. I went through it with aefw about 1.5 years ago.

Just reset and focus on what you have, not what you lost. After my aefw debacle, I worked on my scape and got Montis and styles, etc.

Yeah bro I feel you on the losses of your sps. It seems that everything looks good or great for awhile then out of no where something goes bad for no apparent reason. A couple of my sps went into rtn and boom gone in a day. It sucks to loose some corals but I am determined to succeed at reef keeping no matter how long it takes. Good luck to you in the future and never give up man!!

Use these crashes as a learning experience going forward. You now have the ability to restart and do things even better than how it was before. I've suffered through having a cirolanid isopod infestation that ate away at my fish to a cyano outbreak that wiped out 90% of my corals to a dinoflagellate outbreak that wiped out 70% of all my livestock to a recent incident where I was on the verge of crashing that killed plenty of my high end SPS. There's been so much death at my hands that I sometimes feel like the Hitler of reef aquaria and I've been tempted to throw in the towel many times as well. But then I remember that winners don't quit. And that's why I started smoking cigarettes again.

Keep your head up. That clownfish you've had for 10 years is counting on you. Start back up slowly.

I really appreciate the support and feedback everyone! I'm going to regroup and maybe setup the frag tank as a backup to the main system.

carpetreef75

Premium member
Use these crashes as a learning experience going forward. You now have the ability to restart and do things even better than how it was before. I've suffered through having a cirolanid isopod infestation that ate away at my fish to a cyano outbreak that wiped out 90% of my corals to a dinoflagellate outbreak that wiped out 70% of all my livestock to a recent incident where I was on the verge of crashing that killed plenty of my high end SPS. There's been so much death at my hands that I sometimes feel like the Hitler of reef aquaria and I've been tempted to throw in the towel many times as well. But then I remember that winners don't quit. And that's why I started smoking cigarettes again.

Keep your head up. That clownfish you've had for 10 years is counting on you. Start back up slowly.
Does this boil down to what & where you brought your reef aquaria home from ???
Bryan

Does this boil down to what & where you brought your reef aquaria home from ???
Bryan
that and just good husbandry...but yes for the most part a lot of my issues have boiled down to contamination from external sources:

- cirolanid isopods - came in as hitchhikers from Tampa Bay Saltwater live rock...these f*****s latch on to your fish and slowly eat them alive...once i realized i had them, i had to run fallow for a few months, use a flashlight every single night for weeks and siphon them out one at a time...they slowly starved themselves to death after a few months until i didn't see any...same with gorilla crabs and zoa spiders, came in as hitchhikers and had to slowly hunt them until there weren't any left...that was my first test as an aquarist and i almost quit

lesson learned: inspect everything you put in your tank carefully...dip everything...if you're unsure take it out

- cyano outbreak about a year into reefing...killed practically everything...i had no idea what it was but most of this was entirely my fault - i didn't want to invest in an RODI unit...NO3 was at 40, PO4, i have no idea but i ran GFO...at a certain point when i saw everything covered in red slime i just kind of gave up...then i moved and i was able to start things over and i finally started using RODI water and buying test kits for nutrients...after the move i started stocking up again and things were looking phenomenal

lesson learned: you MUST use RODI water and get a good refractometer

- then i got infested with dinoflagellates...after losing 90% of everything and restocking then getting hit with dinos i was sure i was going to give up...i tried most of what was on the net to no luck...at this point dinos was the worst thing i've seen - you blow them off or siphon them out and an hour later they are back...i was losing coral left and right and the treatments i was trying out were also killing fish and shrimps...finally found a method that worked 3 months later and that was losing damn near everything again....this time i lost way more expensive stuff than the last but i didn't give up and i was able to save a few small acro colonies and 3 fish...my wife and i planned another move and it was at that point that i asked the wife if it was worth continuing...i was down to only a handful of corals and a few fish and i could have just called it quits, it was fun while it lasted OR i could do things really right this time, get a bigger tank, sell some organs and buy really nice stuff...she said it made me happy so go for it...so i did and got a bigger tank

lesson learned: happy wife, happy life :)

that and perseverance prevails...even if you're doing things right, something can still go wrong...nothing i could have done could have prevented the dino outbreak...i still don't know how i got it, it could have laid dormant in my system for all that time and it reared its ugly head at precisely the right time or it could have come in from a frag, i have no idea...i'm leaning more towards the frag from a local seller but i would have no proof

- after this last move i was able to buy new sand and almost new everything...bought an RODI unit and test kits for almost everything...started buying a ton of new stuff from live sales...i got into a brief stint with dosing things to get better colors and almost had a near crash again...i was able to correct it and after a few water changes things are back to good

lesson learned: simple is the way to go...the more equipment you put in, the more chemicals you dose, the more crap you do the more chances you have at something failing and you not knowing what exactly failed...K.I.S.S....if you are going to dose, test things first to get a baseline and test often to make sure you don't OD...if things go bad, you can always count on water changes to "reset" your water back to baseline

Last edited:

ColaAddict

you have to put the heater in the part of the sump where water level doesn't change. if you don' have that, make one by adding baffles. it's dangerous to have heater where water level can go down, as some of them can crack and be damaged and even get you electricuted if it cracks, or cause a fire.