Disolved Magnet and possible metal contamination.

I help take care of a 180 gallon mixed reef and due to a new job and training I have not been as attentive to the tank as I should be. The past month I noticed stuff looking a little stressed. I cut back on feedings and did a few water changes only to have the issue become worse. Today I noticed one of the korallia was not on. I tried to take it apart only to see that the impeller magnet has mostly disolved and that they housing of the unit was cracked. All of the other parameters are within normal limits or close to it. I assume that I'm dealing with metal contamination so my question is this.
In addition to running a lot of Rox .8 and aggressive water changes is there any media I can use to help take the metal out of the water. Has anyone used Triton's Detox? Any insight would be appreciated.

TIA
Jack

madjoe

Premium member
If the housing was cracked might of had stray current also. Which could piss off corals. They sell pads that remove heavy metals. Carbon works also. Good luck

GugsJr

TeamCR
When I had heavy tin in my system. Triton recommended 6 water changes. I did them every week for 6 weeks and no I'm tin free

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Top Water

If nothing is dieing don’t be too aggressive. Do everything slow in moderation . Sometimes people over react and cause worse things to happen .

If nothing is dieing don’t be too aggressive. Do everything slow in moderation . Sometimes people over react and cause worse things to happen .
Yeah Stuff is receeding at a pretty decent clip. I loaded up a brs reactor with carbon on both sides and plan on doing a WC tomorrow and then if I have time another this weekend untill I start to see some improvement,,, Then I'll take a triton test and see where I'm at.

GugsJr

TeamCR
Yeah Stuff is receeding at a pretty decent clip. I loaded up a brs reactor with carbon on both sides and plan on doing a WC tomorrow and then if I have time another this weekend untill I start to see some improvement,,, Then I'll take a triton test and see where I'm at.
Carbon wont take out heavy metals, water changes will as will a product brs sells from triton

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Got Triton back and did a few water changes. Long story short, I have next to zero metal contamination in the tank, and low iodine. I decided to go take a measurement of the stray voltage since things were not getting better after the water change and removal of the pump. Putting the negative of the voltmeter in the ground and the positive in the water I have a measurement of 50+ volts on the surface of the tank and near 55 in the sump. So after turning everything off and turning it on again I found out it's almost all coming from the DIY LED fixture. I took the positive lead and placed it on the fixture and got a reading of near 80 volts. The tank voltage with the lights off is near 25. Going to go take the fixtures apart, clean, and rewire them. I'm hoping to see a lot of corrosion and obvious issues.