DIY algae scrubber

bjg21

Decided to give an algae scrubber a try. I hate algae and since I'm gone for a few days at a time I'd like to see a little less algae and I'm just curious as to how well it works. LMK if anyone is using one and if you bought or made it. View attachment 11384

Last edited:

madjoe

Premium member
From what ive seen they worked great least the diy ones . Reef wise uses a huge one on there system now . The store bought ones seem to be a pia and dont work as well

bjg21

Well I got it running on Wednesday or Thursday and it already has some algae growth on it. It only cost me about $15 in parts and $13 for a bulb. I had the power head and lamp. I did replace the bulb with a 50 watt 5000k LED from Menards. Way cheaper than the store bought ones.

jeffy

I'm all about the ATS! I run LEDS on mine. About to do a 600 gallon with the same setup.

bjg21

Jeff. Are you also running a protein skimmer or anything else? what size is the pad for that scrubber and on what size tank do you have it on? I've seen where some people are just running a scrubber. I'll stick with keeping my reef octopus but i want to eliminate the need for a phosphate reactor and carbon. Thanks for the input

jeffy

Jeff. Are you also running a protein skimmer or anything else? what size is the pad for that scrubber and on what size tank do you have it on? I've seen where some people are just running a scrubber. I'll stick with keeping my reef octopus but i want to eliminate the need for a phosphate reactor and carbon. Thanks for the input
I have a UV sterilizer on it. No protein skimmer. The pad size is 12"x18" I have the room to make it that big. It's for a 120. An then some water. As I said I'm building one for a 600 gallon.