DIY Coral viewer and a couple of pics I took

Stonefish13

Hello all. Instead of spending $50 plus dollars on a coral viewer or buying a macro lens that I can't afford I was in the hardware store and I saw a magnifying lens for $5 so I picked it up then when I got home I was rifling through the cabinets and I saw a one gallon tupperware oval jug so I cut a hole in the bottom of the jug after tracing the shape of the lens on it. Then I taped the lens into place from the inside of the tupperware leaving the lens flush with the inside and protruding out, then I simply used some dow 795 black silicone I had laying around and caulked the lens to the tupperware and I let it cure for a couple of days and this is what I got. It's a cheap and easy way to get nice close up pics or just to look closely at your corals. I put the lens in the water and I put the camera in the tupperware and I start clicking. The one thing I noticed in some of the pics was a glare so I'm gonna either paint this one black or make another with dark plastic instead of clear.

bluethumb

What a great idea. I am very new to the posting coral pics area. I keep my corals in a tub and they are illuminated by 2 LED pendants. It sounds like some people are very particular about how these photos should be taken. Thanks for the info Jason.

Smitty

Premium member
That was a great idea Jason...something like this crossed my mind awhile ago, but just to view the corals...those pics are amazing. Good job!

Stonefish13

That was a great idea Jason...something like this crossed my mind awhile ago, but just to view the corals...those pics are amazing. Good job!
Thanks Smitty. I originally made it just for viewing but I figured I would give it a shot with the camera and it worked out better than I imagined it would. I'm gonna try it with a round lens and some 6" pvc. That way it won't be totally dark and create shadows but it won't have the glare like the clear one.

Stonefish13

Some night shots with the leds on and the magnifying lens. All these corals are for sale and these are the only pics I have. J/K lol