DIY frag racks?

helitaiwan963

hey guys,

has anyone made their own frag racks? if so, what do you use for the platform and what magnets do you use? i was thinking about sacrificing one of my mag floats for it but i want to make more than one frag rack.

pics would be awesome too!

Thanks
Eric

lunacris

i used suction cups and it worked great also used the magnet and base to a koralia the lil red rod glued to the egg crate works great slides over glass as well easy to clean mag float works as well pricey but if u can catch one used thats best bet

FishBeard

I just have a little eggcrate that i ziptie to the wetside of a magfloat when I need a rack. It is very wide and shallow, holds about 12 frags wide across the glass so it doesnt sag at the far end. Works great and I didnt have to cannibalize the magfloat permanently.

helitaiwan963

sweet! now were to get the eggcrate. i have some that came with my tank when i bought it... but where is everyone else buying more?

sorry for the noobish questions. i'm just cutting more and more of my pom pom xenias and need somewhere to put them in my sump... but i don't want to to start growing all over my fuge either... lol. i'm gonna try and give them away and after a week, i'm just gonna throw them away.

FishBeard

Or I'll cut you a piece from an extra panel I have, when you stop over to check out my frags. Free gift with purchase, lol.

helitaiwan963

homedepot, ace hardware, menards where comercial lights are
nice, i've always checked them but just kinda looked blindly. didn't know they were under commerical lighting area.
Or I'll cut you a piece from an extra panel I have, when you stop over to check out my frags. Free gift with purchase, lol.
haha, thanks fish! hopefully i still get the chance to get over there if i end up getting a lot of frags friday. i'm leaving back to iowa sunday morning... argh. at least i'm bringing a little piece of the ocean with me back to iowa. gonna start a nanocube 12dx in my apartment room... :)

FishBeard

Do you have any sps yet? If you want, I have a few other easy ones I can make you cheap frags of. Or I can probably clip a few smaller pieces of acro and Mille for you to try out on the cheap.

helitaiwan963

ive got one so far. just a normal brown birdsnest. started from a little 1" frag and it's gotten great growth. close to 3" now and many branches. only in the span of about 2.5 months. this is why i wanna try my hand at more SPS corals now. and now that i have some better lighting over my 75. 500watts now over it (2x 250watt pendants with 20k bulbs)