DIY T5 hanging arm

PufferMan

Anyone have any good ideas, pics, or links regarding a DIY hanging arm solution for a 24" T5 fixture?

I would like to hang my 4 bulb T5 fixture over my tank, but I can't hang it from the ceiling. My stand is wood, so I'm thinking of maybe making a couple of L shaped arms out of galvanized pipe fittings and attaching them to the stand, then hanging the fixture from them. Anyone made or purchased something like this? I've seen a few online, but they seem kind of expensive for what they are.

What do most of you do?

arioch

I went to Home Depot and had them cut up some conduit, they had curved 90-deg elbow pieces that I used to attach them to, and some miscellaneous fixture pieces that were real handy to screw the fixture's hanging kit to. I can take a picture of what my setup looks like and you'll have a good idea of what to do.

I also sprayed my conduit pieces with the black rubber stuff, I forget the name. It didn't cure really well (still feels sticky now when I touch it) but it worked well enough.

PufferMan

I went to Home Depot and had them cut up some conduit, they had curved 90-deg elbow pieces that I used to attach them to, and some miscellaneous fixture pieces that were real handy to screw the fixture's hanging kit to. I can take a picture of what my setup looks like and you'll have a good idea of what to do.

I also sprayed my conduit pieces with the black rubber stuff, I forget the name. It didn't cure really well (still feels sticky now when I touch it) but it worked well enough.
That would be super helpful if you could post a picture! I was looking there today, and it seems that the galvanized pipe would be the easiest, but also significantly more money than using conduit. I also couldn't find a good way to attach the conduit to the stand. How did you attach yours?

PufferMan

Thanks for all the ideas and pics. I ended up going with the 1/2" conduit. Looks nice, and was super cheap. I'll post some pics up on here soon. This is for a new tank, so I think I'm going to start a new build thread documenting it.