Diy zapper

madjoe

Premium member
I know while i was on “vacation “ from here few people were interested in the diy zapper i will start this build thread try to get it done this weekend it’s pretty simple and maybe 20$ worth of parts less if you have crap laying around

Last edited:

madjoe

Premium member
Parts list
12v 1.25 amp dc coverter
Stainless steel picture hanging wire
Pill bottle for the switch holder (u can improvise anything as long as a switch and some wire can fit in it)
Two wire cord not extension cord like dc wire cord i will ad pic later
Tubing you can get it at menards by the pvc its the 3/8 flexible stuff comes in blue redand white( i used tattoo tubes since i made a handheld one and have bunch of tubes left from when i did tats)
Then a carbon piece some used carpenter pencil lead but i found those fail and break down . So i ordered bunch of small motor brushes on ebay . Dosent break down in tank.
Hot glue gun probably can use silicone also
Shrink tubing
Acid etching flux
Soldering iron and solder
Drill
And a momentary switch.
So most of this you may have laying around already at least the tools.
I was able to get rest of stuff at American science and surplus.
And eBay
Seems like long list but goes together easily.

- - - Updated - - -

As in a diy majano wand?
Yea

madjoe

Premium member
So first thing u can build is your wand. Use the small pvc pipe you get from menards and a length of the stainless steel wire and clean one side of the stainless wire with the acid flux (helps soldering the wire to the stainless) then shrink wrap the joint together after soldering. Now you can make your wand as long as u want have the stainless stick out of one end. This is where u can use u hot glue gun or silicone to seal around the wire in the tube so water dont get in and compromise the soldered joint. I use a tattoo tube for hand held model. I had to redo mine today as i used cheap speaker wire so finally gave out dead spot in wire. Heres some picsView attachment 23345
View attachment 23346
View attachment 23347
Next is the carbon end basically same thing take the second wire and solder the wire to motor brush. Hopefully you guys know what a motor brush is . If not just ask i can show you or ebay it . You dont need big one or a big piece of tube .as u can see in my pic i added a suction cup to stick it to the glass while im zapping.
View attachment 23348
Next its time to make your switch i use pill bottle drill hole in cap to fit switch. Also drill bottom of bottle to allow 4 wires to fit in the two u just built and the two for the dc power supply. Stock wands use 12v .5amp i up mine too 12v 1.25 amp i was told 1.5 amp is max you shold go. Put the 4 wires through the bottom of bottle and make a knot in them so cant be pulled out the hole give your self slack to be able to solder to switch. Now were almost done. So the wire from the probe with the stainless wire gets soldered to one side of the switch. This were u can mess up so on my converter i have a plain black wire and a black wire with a dash white line. The plain black wire goes to the switch the white dash wire Goes to the other tude you just built with the motor brush. Now solder all joints tape them up put cap on. Suction cup the part in the tank pug in zapper should have the stainless wire turn whiteand start makeing tiny bubbles. If the carbon piece is bubbling and the wire tirns rust color the power source is reversed unplug and change wires around. Hopefully i was able to explain it good enough. Im better at building then explaining