DJE's 120XL SPS Dominated Tank

DJE

My journey began around 19 yrs ago, like some of us here. I remember my dad cleaning his tanks and buying his freshwater fish at Animal Kingdom. Those of us who grew up in the city will remember Animal Kingdom. That was THE spot to go to when I was growing up. Unfortunately after 65 years in business, they closed their doors in December of 2009. The picture below is identical to one of the tanks my Dad had, and at that time, as a little kid I thought it was amazing.

Picture from fishtanksdirect.com.:fish:

Old School tank by efcolon4, on Flickr

It wasn't until the mid 90's that I would dabble into saltwater tanks. My first set up was a 55g bow front fish only tank with dead corals. Even today that tank still remains as one of my favorite tanks.

Eventually, I found Reef Central in 2004 and quickly got addicted to reef tanks. I found myself reading threads until late into the night, and telling myself that one day, I will have a reef tank. That one day finally came in 2006. My porcupine puffer fish, affectionately known as ET due to his resemblance :), decided to eat almost my entire group of fish, with the exception of the one's that were too big for him. Now granted some of this was partly my fault since I inadvertently made him aggressive. I started buying him live fish to feed on. It was great at first, it gave ET exercise and was entertaining, but it was not as cool or entertaining when he took advantage of the lights being out at night and ate almost all my fish. He was subsequently donated to an LFS and then I sold the tank shortly thereafter.

Around this time I discovered Garf.org. I was impressed with all the information they had available on the website. I eventually utilized their Bullet Proof Calculator to set up a 29g bow front. I also placed my first coral order and Reef Janitor (CUC). The tank was nothing special with Xenia and more Xenia, but it was a way to get my feet wet.

So as not to bore everyone any longer with my stories, I will start by sharing the tank that inspired me and has brought me to this point.

Luis Gonzalez's (Luisgo) was the first tank that inspired me to really get jump into reef keeping. I remember reading his TOTM and was in awe. I recall reading that blog every night and looking at the pictures over and over again and wondering if I could ever achieve that same level of expertise. I linked up with Luis via PM and he was extremely nice. I even asked him if and when I went to PR to visit my parents if I could drop by and without hesitation he said no problem. My next trip to the island will definitely include a visit to Luis's house for a close up look at his tank. Although I was feeling highly inspired, unfortunately my attempt at keeping soft corals was not as successful as Luis but I didn't give up. Here's a couple beautiful photos of Luis's tank.

Untitled by efcolon4, on Flickr
Luis Gonzalez's 125g by efcolon4, on Flickr

The tank that then inspired my SPS addiction, was actually found here on CR. Below is a beautiful picture of his tank, those of you who are regulars on CR should know exactly whose tank I am referring to.

I remember the first time I saw this tank up close and personal. I was picking up a frag pack that I had won here on Chicago Reefs, which happened to be donated by Mark. Mark was in the process of converting his tank to a more open flow tank, so he was slowly taking his apart in an effort to get rid of some corals. That was my first opportunity to see SPS corals up close. From that point forward, it was all about the SPS corals and I haven't looked back. The plan for this tank, of course, will be all SPS with some LPS.

My wife and I also happened to be in the planning stages of remodeling the basement in our home. I took advantage of that timing and opportunity to upgrade my current fish room.

My first fish room, or really closet, for my 75g tank would not fit my plans for my Elos. I wanted a room that I could expand in, fit a bigger sump, and give me the ability to add a few more containers without running out of room like I did with the fish closet. I also wanted a dedicated sink, for just my fish related items without having to worry about any soaps or laundry material coming in contact with any of the tank gear. Given that my set up is now at least a year old, I want to post some pictures to share my progress over the course of this last year, as well as, to simply show my madness. :) If you have any advice, questions or comments, please feel free to reach out and I will try to respond as best as I can. Although please keep in mind, I still consider myself a newbie.

more to come.....:aquarium1:

Last edited:

DJE

Equipment List

Main Display:

Elos 120XL (<<<<Click on Elos 120XL for website)

Purchased from Jesse S. at Elos USA and delivered 8-10-12 (Closed in July-Aug 2013)

Color: White

Volume:126 gallons

Aquarium Dimensions: 47.24″ x 31.5 ″ x 19.7″H

EXTRA CLEAR glass on all 4 sides with*polished edges,**multi-pane bottom giving it unsurpassed strength and safety with ELOS system overflow. *Our EXTRA CLEAR glass is crystal clear due to its low iron content. It produces the most natural color rendition possible and optical clarity that is truly spectacular.

Cabinet Dimensions: 47.24″ x 31.5″ x 34.25″ H

Made of with a marine grade core and covered with a water highly water resistant outer laminate in gloss white*which blends with most decors and allows the aquarium to be the main focus.
The ELOS SQUARE is specifically designed to best support and work with the ELOS aquarium and its plumbing.*
Designed to be lower than most aquarium cabinets, to accentuate the beauty of the ELOS aquarium and provide much easier access while maintaining your aquarium.With an ELOS SQUARE and ELOS POOL, you can enjoy a completely new way of seeing an aquarium both through the glass and with a glimpse of the water surface from most viewing positions.*
The back panel of the ELOS SQUARE is completely finished, unlike many aquarium cabinets that are left unfinished or completely open which can be both unsightly and very noisy.*The ELOS Square has a very discreet full-length ventilation gap on the top and bottom of the back panel which helps reduce the temperature and the humidity within the cabinet, a problem found in poorly designed aquarium cabinets.

Lighting:

Giesemann Spectra (<<<<Click on Giesemann for website)

Purchased @ Premium Aquatics

Color: Polar White

Specs: HQI/T5- 2 x 250w / 4 x 54w T5 48''

MH Bulbs: Radiums

T5 Bulbs: ATI Blue Plus

The SPECTRA series represents an evolution in the illumination of aquariums.

SPECTRA builds on our long experience of high performance aquarium lighting with improved anti-glare control and the introduction of high performance quad T5 fluorescent lighting which works in conjunction with powerful metal halide (HQI) technology. Wrapped in a sleek stylish outer body made from corrosion resistant aluminium and magnesium alloy which is painted to a high gloss finish, each lamp and tube is backed by a CAD designed reflector system to maximise light output, and to ensure seamless mixing of each light sources spectral qualities without any visible banding or spotting.
SPECTRA combines 4 powerful T-5 tubes and up to 3 single ended metal halide bulbs of up to 400 watts each. Each pair of tubes is individually controllable giving the possibility to start the day with a gradual increase in light, before finally switching on the halide lamps. This provides a more gradual and therefore natural increase and decrease in light intensity mimicking more natural conditions.

SPECTRA is available in 24'', 48'' and 72'' units with a choice of 250W or 400W models each fitted with a single, double or triple set of HQI lamps.

Manufactured from corrosion resistant aluminium and magnesium alloy, the SPECTRA uses class leading thermal management technology for a long operating life. Each T5 fluorescent tube comes with its own independent computer designed reflector allowing for better spread of light within the aquarium and less wasted light.

Skimmer/Filtration:

JNS SK-3 Skimmer (<<<<Click on JNS SK-3 for website)

Purchased @ Premium Aquatics

• Footprint: 15'' X 11 1/2''
• Pump: SHARK 3.0
• Pump power consumption: 27 Watts
• Air Intake: 1020 LPH (110V/60HZ)
• Chamber Diameter: 7 7/8''
• Height: 22 3/4
• Outlet size: 1-1/2 Quick-Precise adjusting valve
Features:

The perfect ratio of reaction chamber and cone:
• A class Acrylic Construction ‚ SCH80 fitting.
• Highly Efficient, Durable, Reliable.
• Simple to Set Up and Operate.
• Quick-Precise adjusting valve allows quick and precise adjustment of skimmer water level for more accurate control over dry or wet foam production.
• JNS SHARK 3.0 needle wheel pump absorbs high air intake and optimum bubble size. amply mix the bubble efficiently.
• Rubber feet for decrease noise and vibration isolation.
• Exceptional buffer chamber

Return Pump:

Jebao DC-12000 (<<<<Click on Jebao for info)

Purchased from [MENTION=1971]jayjerk[/MENTION] group buy.

These New DC pumps offer an energy saving alternative in the submersible pump line-up!

DC Powered:
Running on 24VDC, these pumps use over 50% less than other submersible pumps, which also means less heat transfer!

Controllable:
Features a 6 speed controller with 10 minute feed mode.

Slow Start Mode:
These pumps also feature a slow startup mode, when power is aplied to the pump, the flow will slowy ramp up to full speed in about a minute. No more splashing in the tank from an full on blast of water.

High performance motor with innovative electronics and energy savings up to 50%
IC electronic detection, automatic power-off protection upon no water
Motor protection if impeller is blocked
Super quiet operation
Can be used in freshwtaer or saltwater
No copper components
Wear resistant ceramic shaft for longer operating life

Sump:

Rubbermaid Commercial 70g stock tank (<<<<Click on Rubbermaid for info)

Purchased from Amazon.

Seamless construction for outstanding durability.
Built tough for superior performance and long-lasting durability in all kinds of weather extremes.
Oversized drain plug allows easy drainage and cleaning.
41 inches long by 32 inches wide by 25 inches high. 26.5 Lb

Water Circulation:

Maxspect XF150 Gyre Generator (<<<<Click on Maxspect XF150 for info)

Purchased @ Best Fish

Revolutionary Crossflow Water Movement Technology
Max Flow 5000gph | 50watts | 50-800+ gallons

FEATURES:

Crossflow Technology
Discrete Design
Directional Twin Flow Cages
Evenly Distributed Flow
Gyre Generating Flows - Virtually No Dead Spots
Controller with Mountable Craddle
Waterproof Mounting Magnet

Heating:

JBJ True Temp Titanium Heating System 300w (<<<<Click on JBJ for info)

Purchased from BRS

Digital Heater Controller - accurate and precise to +/- 0.5° F
Titatium Heater with Safety Guard
Remote Temperature Probe - remote quick disconnect temperature probe can be placed up to 5 Ft away from the heating element for a comprehensive temperature measurement of the total volume of water.
Smart Memory Chip - to reset your temperature settings after a power failure

I have the heater hooked up to my Apex Controller

Controller:

Apex Controller with Standard pH Probe - Neptune Systems (<<<<Click on Apex for info)

Purchased from BRS

Other Equipment:

Genesis Renew Pro and Storm Pro (<<<<Click on Genesis for info)

Purchased from Genesis

more to come :spy:

Last edited:

MMreef

I am glad I could help you with pictures. It was time for you to start a thread, everything looks great. :)