Do cob lighting provide the correct spectrum?

dkm

With the huge improvement in cob lightning, especially in the cxa and veros, is anyone running them successfully without adding any supplemental lights for corals and anemones.

dkm

The cob lighting are efficient, the only drawback is the phosphor coating makes the color spectrums appear as single color. They produce a large amount of lumen, these cobs should outrival the majority of the commercial ones. You can add several 3 watts chips to help make your tank have the bluish tint, but I believe the cree/bridgelux cobs might provide enough par for the corals, the only drawback I see is the red spectrum may be a waste if the tank is too deep.

wld1783

The problem with T5s is they loose intensity and or shift spectrum rather quickly.

As far as growing coral all you need is 400-500nm...After this its a matter of taste on which tertiary LEDs you choose to accent the looks.

Take this a step further and acclimate your SPS to a High Intensity light similar to the shallow reef and the corals will colour up by creating pigments and proteins to reflect this excessive light.

This is why most awesome SPS tanks use 400 watt MH or their LED equivalent over 250 watt MHs.

Bill

dkm

I don't think I want to be the one to start experimenting with these lights yet. I'm leaning towards a kessil or AI 52.