? Do nano skimmers/HOB skimmers overflow

edsbeaker

I'm considering whether or not to use a skimmer on my new 30G AIO build. I know that in my large sump, my skimmer would occasionally overflow. This concerns me in regards to having a HOB skimmer or a skimmer in the back overflow area of an AIO tank. Do these smaller skimmers overflow, and if so, is there something that is built in as a safety preventing from it getting all over the floor?

Last edited:

Venom

Premium member
I have a eshopps nano protein skimmer in the center chamber of a jbj 28g and when I first installed it would overflow but the overflow would just go back in the sump area never the floor it has a small cup on it so I dump it out every day whether it need it or not hope this helps.

edsbeaker

I have a eshopps nano protein skimmer in the center chamber of a jbj 28g and when I first installed it would overflow but the overflow would just go back in the sump area never the floor it has a small cup on it so I dump it out every day whether it need it or not hope this helps.
So it sounds like it is safer to go with a skimmer that sits inside the back sump area as opposed to a HOB. Thanks, that does help.

Green0j0s

I have an AquaMaxx HOB1 and that does overflow and dump into the ground if it isn't setup right. Water level in the back chambers also affects it.

BigKev23

Actually the aqua max hob is super safe. No possible way for it to overflow anywhere except for back into the tank. Best nano skimmer I've ever had.

edsbeaker

Actually the aqua max hob is super safe. No possible way for it to overflow anywhere except for back into the tank. Best nano skimmer I've ever had.
Hi Kevin,
Does it have some kind of hose in the collection cup that re-routes the overflow somehow, and do you know if most of the HOB's have this type of feature?

BigKev23

Yes, it can only overflow back into itself, which is a nice feature. It also dissembles easily and is very easy to dial in. Super, super quiet too.

I've never used other HOB skimmers, so I'm not sure.

Irsug1

Premium member
Hi Kevin,
Does it have some kind of hose in the collection cup that re-routes the overflow somehow, and do you know if most of the HOB's have this type of feature?
That's correct, i have 2 of them. However they can foam over out of the top of the cup. Not 100 percent fool proof.

reif119

Otherwise you can drill the collection cup and add like an airline hose as an over flow and have the overflow sitting in a milk bottle or something

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk