Do Not Trust Anyone

Tethered_Limbs

eh. I still won't quarantine, but I just have to learn the hard way.
likewise, i think if the fish is healthy itll fight off the disease by itself. stress is wat induces most ailments. keep a stress free DT n yull have a disease free DT. of course introducing a fish is pretty stressful.... if i had the room/funds n i was buying expensive fish, id def QT

Sorry to hear the sucky news.

I need to setup a QT tank ASAP so I don't have to go through this. I thought I read somewhere that Ich dies in a tank with no fish in a few weeks. Can coral transmit ich?

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
Sorry to hear the sucky news.

I need to setup a QT tank ASAP so I don't have to go through this. I thought I read somewhere that Ich dies in a tank with no fish in a few weeks. Can coral transmit ich?
The general concensus is that ich will die in a tank without fish in 8-10 weeks. Coral doesn't host ich but the proven methods of killing ich will also kill coral so you really really don't want a reef tank to get it.

EricTheRed

likewise, i think if the fish is healthy itll fight off the disease by itself. stress is wat induces most ailments. keep a stress free DT n yull have a disease free DT. of course introducing a fish is pretty stressful.... if i had the room/funds n i was buying expensive fish, id def QT
Very true, stress can most certainly effect a fish's immune system which can allow the ich to take control. However, I don't necessarily agree that a stress free tank will prevent and/or get rid of ich.

You would have thought I'd learned my lesson when I lost over $1000 worth of fish 2 years ago. Compared to the cost of a QT....$20 for a tank, $25 for a HOB filter, a small heater and an old maxijet is all it takes. Oh yeah, and PATIENCE while they're in QT.

jcarlilesiu

As of today, my powder brown is showing ich. Odd thing is I haven't added any fish in months. No other fish showing signs.

Good luck eric, this stinks.

ColaAddict

ugh! the dreaded Powder Tangs, ich magnets! I just bought a powder brown myself and have it on hypo. I lost a powder blue to ich awhile ago.

EricTheRed

As of today, my powder brown is showing ich. Odd thing is I haven't added any fish in months. No other fish showing signs.

Good luck eric, this stinks.
Fish can carry ich in their gills for long periods of time without it spreading to their bodies if their immune systems are good. I've read that there is no way for a captive fish to maintain the high the levels of immunity they would have in the ocean (without intervention by the use of garlic and/or vitamens) so it is very possible for the ich to expose itself much later.

My fish looked fine from the outside after being quarantined but it was obviously carrying the parasite. It was QT'd for about 2 weeks without copper and was eating. Don't get me wrong, that is still above and beyond most business practices. The onus was on me to complete the QT process because 2 weeks isn't long enough to be certain and even still you'll never be 100% certain without a copper QT.

gig

sorrt to hear that Eric, but if you got it from a store, you pretty much have the QT it yourself for 8 weeks to truly insure it's clear. A fish can be in a so called QT system in a store, but that is really to see that it survived the shipping process, is healthy and eating. However, any store I've been to is constantly adding new fish weekly to that QT system, so there is no way to say a fish from store is truly Qt'd unless it's been sitting in it's own system for the minimum 8 weeks with no cross contamiation from other additional fish. Good luck, what a pain in the ***! :(

EricTheRed

sorrt to hear that Eric, but if you got it from a store, you pretty much have the QT it yourself for 8 weeks to truly insure it's clear. A fish can be in a so called QT system in a store, but that is really to see that it survived the shipping process, is healthy and eating. However, any store I've been to is constantly adding new fish weekly to that QT system, so there is no way to say a fish from store is truly Qt'd unless it's been sitting in it's own system for the minimum 8 weeks with no cross contamiation from other additional fish. Good luck, what a pain in the ***! :(
Tell me about it. That's why I'm so angry with myself. I knew better and have no one to blame but myself.

gig

Tell me about it. That's why I'm so angry with myself. I knew better and have no one to blame but myself.
I'm not a big QT'er, but I bought a healthy specimen once, that I knew was an ick magnet....I put it in the DT, ick commensed, but luckily I only lost that guy and not more...

TotalPetsPlus

I have used kordon ick attack and a few friends have used it also. got rid of ick on fish in DT and no side affects. I used half the dose.

I have used kordon ick attack and a few friends have used it also. got rid of ick on fish in DT and no side affects. I used half the dose.
I have used it also. And it didn't kill anything in my tank, including Ich. It didn't really do much at all except make my water brown... Metro+Focus+TheraA did the trick for me.