Does anyone QT snails?

moon jelly

Just wondering because something interesting happened to me today. While acclimating some cerith snails that I got in the mail today, I looked in the plastic container that I was acclimating them in and found hundreds of tiny round objects swimming around. I took a photo and when I enlarged the photo these objects looked like flatworms! :scared:

ColaAddict

I have not QT'd snails. the places I get them from (liveaquaria.com and reefcleaners.com) usually don't ship them in water (just wet paper towel and the snails in a bag). Where did you get your snails from?

ultimatemj

I'm learning the short answer is "YES"!

If you have a lot of time and $$$ invested in your display tank...and would not want to have to break it down to "deal with something"...then yes QT everything!

I'm thinking I may need 2 QTs!!!

I had some things I got from other folks in QT when I moved a RBTA split (that I damaged his foot trying to move him) and put it into the QT.

Now my nem is healed, and no longer a danger of turning to slime in my DT...and I've dipped most things with CoralRX...but not big hawian feather dusters, nems, snails, etc...and now I've got flatworms in my QT!!! :(

Good news is not in my DT, but I'm not sure I trust moving the RBTA nem back to the DT. Feels like I need another fresh QT tank to house the nem alone for a while...

Anywhose, I'm sure snails, chaeto, nems, even plain ol frag plugs can introduce problems.

QT is pain, but the best way to reduce headaches~

Gary

How do you have worms in a QT? You are supposed to break it down afterwards and clean/disinfect it.

madjoe

Premium member
Imo hard to qt snails since they need alagae to eat and live. Not many sit there and eat of a algae clip. They might starve before u get them out of qt. Idk maybe im wrong . Ive gotten ich from nems and shrooms before never heard of flat worms from snails . Not saying it cant happen but would be the first case ive heard of

madjoe

Premium member
U sure they flat worms and not something else. Any way those snails get everywhere becarefull seen them ruin power heads and pumps specially thr little bastards. And dint be surprised to c tgem crawling on outside of u tank looking for the ocean i guess

moon jelly

I am not sure if they are flatworms. The cerith snails were 1-1.5 inches long. I had them in the container to acclimate them (they came in a plastic bag with water from live aquaria) and when I looked in the container about ten minutes later, this is what I saw. I finally figured out how to post pics on here. The first pic is a close up of the container, the second pic is a blown up version of the first pic. They are tiny and were swimming around. Anyone have any thoughts on what they could be?

madjoe

Premium member
Sure do look like flat worms . Ive ordered snails before never seen anything like that cant believe they even sent em like that they had to of seen em

Last edited:

moon jelly

I don't know if they saw them. When I put the 6 snails in the container, I didn't see them either. However, I didn't carefully inspect each snail. I just took a quick look at them to make sure they were alive. I don't think they look either because in the same order, I also bought scarlet reef crabs. When checking thru my order, one of the crabs was really a bumble bee snail.

tinman

those for sure are flatworms, if they came thru even from LA .. not sure who to trust any more
:pout:

madjoe

Premium member
I don't know if they saw them. When I put the 6 snails in the container, I didn't see them either. However, I didn't carefully inspect each snail. I just took a quick look at them to make sure they were alive. I don't think they look either because in the same order, I also bought scarlet reef crabs. When checking thru my order, one of the crabs was really a bumble bee snail.
idk man that's a massive amout to receive with snails most people flat worm problems aren't even that bad. that bowl is filled. id definitely send a polite nasty email saying HEY LUCY U HAVE SOME EXPLAINING TO DO

ColaAddict

Where are the snails in the pic? I recently ordered clean up crew from liveaquaria and did not see a single flatworm, I did the "Build Your Own Package"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

moon jelly

The snails were shipped from California. I did a build your own package. I spoke to live aquaria and told them about it and they told me "that is why we suggest you QT everything". That is why I started this thread to see if anyone else QT's inverts. The snails are not in the photo because I already put them into the tank. At first, I was thinking...cool, I got some snail babies and was just going to toss them into the tank to see if any survived. I then researched snail eggs and found out they usually are in egg sacks but some are live born. Then I thought to take a photo first, enlarge it and see what they looked like. I was stunned at what I saw. These things were super tiny, about the size of a pinhead. I have seen flatworms in other peoples tanks and these were way smaller. When I took this photo, they already were dispersing because when I first saw them, they were all closer together. They were all in an area about the size of a dime and dispersed because they were swimming. I tried taking videos but my camera would for some reason stop videotaping after a few seconds (I still haven't had time time to figure out my canon T3i). For reference the container is about 4 inches across.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I want to pick people's brains on their thoughts on this.