Does Aragonite Sand truly act as a buffer within reef parameters?

Ajmal C

Decided to go with a bare bottom with live rock for my frag tank. Wanted to keep an aragonite sand bed for 3 reasons. 1) To act as a stabilizing buffer 2) to act as substrate for beneficial microbes to grow on 3)From an 'aesthetically pleasing' perspective . Also having to travel so figured it would be easier.
Realized reason 1 was not true so reasons 2 and 3 can be sacrificed, hoping the live rock and filter media will suffice in keeping the nitrogen waste chemistry in check.

I wanted to discuss whether aragonite sand really has any buffering capacity to maintain pH.

I stumbled upon a ReefCentral thread: http://s.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1008046

Where a chemist and member, Randy Holmes-Farley, and a few others state aragonite sand beds don't offer buffering capacity and in fact diminish it.
Randy Holmes-Farley even has an article in Advanced Aquarist discussing alakalinity and acid /base chemistry in the reef : http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/7/chemistry

Not sure if this has been discussed on CR but would love for anyone to chime in with their insights.

From what I understand is that at normal Reef pH (between 8.1 and 8.4) aragonite serves to precipitate Carbonate out of the water, as can be seen by growing coralline algae and coral skeletons (used as calcium carbonate). Initially there may be minute buffering but eventually the aragonite will start precipitating the carbonate out from the water lowering the pH to 7-7.5.

Only at lower pH of say 6.5 and lower will the carbonate in the aragonite start dissolving and contributing to alakalinity and hence increasing and stabilizing the pH. This pH is far below what reefers normally keep their tanks at.
The only place in a reef tank that such pH's may exist is within the anaerobic environment of a Deep Sand Bed, and it's overall efficacy is apparently debatable. I was very general with the chemical terms, chemistry was never my forte, if you feel I am incorrectly stating the chemistry feel free to correct me.

So I decided to opt out of a regular (non deep) sand bed since it really wont stabilize the pH and may even contribute to a pH drop and will make cleaning in my frag tank much harder. Will miss the natural beauty of sand in a reef though.

Reefs with sand beds are only able to maintain a stable pH by ensuring that alakalinity, Calcium and Magnesium are within desirable parameters, but, these are maintained by adding them back into the aquarium and not by just a one time addition of aragonite sand during initial set up of a tank. This is especially true of reef aquariums that suck Calcium carbonate out of the water faster like a tank dominated with Stony corals and coralline algae.

It has also been mentioned that the main culprit for pH drops is Carbon dioxide. CO2 can rise when respiration (during the night) is occurring within corals as opposed to photosynthesis. Excess waste can also produce excess acid which can bring pH down as well. Lack of proper ventilation or gas exchange with the air may also contribute to a relative CO2 rise.

Last edited:

svb57

I can tell you that for (8) years the sand in my system was Quickcrete sand, yes the sand used for cement, silica based. As you can see by attached picture the system thrived. I have since taken the sand out and went bare bottom because of build up of detritus build up and the easy of cleaning a bare bottom tank.

I echo the statement "Only at lower pH of say 6.5 and lower will the carbonate in the aragonite start dissolving and contributing to alakalinity and hence increasing and stabilizing the pH. This pH is far below what reefers normally keep their tanks at." and if the system got to a pH level that would start to dissolve the aragonite, the inhabitants would perish.

View attachment 9807

Last edited:

Ajmal C

I can tell you that for (8) years the sand in my system was Quickcrete sand, yes the sand used for cement, silica based. As you can see by attached picture the system thrived. I have since taken the sand out and went bare bottom because of build up of detritus build up and the easy of cleaning a bare bottom tank.

I echo the statement "Only at lower pH of say 6.5 and lower will the carbonate in the aragonite start dissolving and contributing to alakalinity and hence increasing and stabilizing the pH. This pH is far below what reefers normally keep their tanks at." and if the system got to a pH level that would start to dissolve the aragonite, the inhabitants would perish.

View attachment 9807
Wow! You had some MONSTER growth all pieces look like they are on steroids, hahahhaha. Really beautiful!

Sand seems to make everyone happy including a Clean up Crew.

Silica based sand huh? first I've seen a system with it.

How is your system doing now that it is bare bottom?

svb57

Long story short.

Had two issues with the system: Pocillopora growing over everything (clams, wires, glass, ect) using (2) cups of 2 part per day and Majano out break. So decided to break down the system, bleach 800lbs of lr and redo the system.

I took the bottom tank out as it was had to keep the detritus from building up quickly and tough to siphon. There is a total of "600 gallons" in the system that includes a 150g tank of nothing but rock.

The current system has been in operation for 18 months with corals in it for 3 months. Have had very good growth. Below are some current pictures that I took at the end of the day just beofre the lights went out, so very blue. Your welcome to come by if you like to see the complete setup.

View attachment 9808View attachment 9809

I will get better pictures tonight and add them here.

anarchy

Long story short.

Had two issues with the system: Pocillopora growing over everything (clams, wires, glass, ect) using (2) cups of 2 part per day and Majano out break. So decided to break down the system, bleach 800lbs of lr and redo the system.

I took the bottom tank out as it was had to keep the detritus from building up quickly and tough to siphon. There is a total of "600 gallons" in the system that includes a 150g tank of nothing but rock.

The current system has been in operation for 18 months with corals in it for 3 months. Have had very good growth. Below are some current pictures that I took at the end of the day just beofre the lights went out, so very blue. Your welcome to come by if you like to see the complete setup.

View attachment 9808View attachment 9809

I will get better pictures tonight and add them here.
Seen this tank recently and definitely worth the drive out just to see the fish room

ANARCHY

Steve1986

It's funny how this hobby evolves. When I started everyone had to have sand , without it your tank would "crash" lol. Now it seems it's more of a nuisance

Ajmal C

[MENTION=2503]svb57[/MENTION] I didn't even realize that was a tank on top of the other, amazing!

Would love to come check out the new system but am leaving chi town for a few months. Will definitely come through when I get back and seems there is a lot I could learn from you.
Yes please, lets see some more pics.

Encouraging to see your new system thriving. Pest control was one of my main inspirations for going bare bottom along with detritus clean up. I also dried up the live rock I am keeping (a measly 20 lbs lol) and am going to cure it with Dr. Tim's bacteria.
Since I won't be keeping fish I find pods and worms become an irritant when the system is not fed regularly.

Do you feed your corals?

Last edited:

Ajmal C

It's funny how this hobby evolves. When I started everyone had to have sand , without it your tank would "crash" lol. Now it seems it's more of a nuisance
We learn new things in this hobby everyday, it's like a culmination of all the sciences and to top it all off we throw in the arts too.

svb57

Only food I ever used was Rod original and flake. Nothing special for the corals.

pH average 8.38
Calcium 420
Alk 9.5
Temp hi 79 low 77
Salinity 1.026

Run GFO, carbon, Biopellets 24/7
50g water changes average 6 per year (maybe)
Big believer in lots and lots of live rock. Besides the large amount in the main tank I have a separate 150g tank 75% full of only rock. However, it all started as very dead!

Ajmal C

Only food I ever used was Rod original and flake. Nothing special for the corals.

pH average 8.38
Calcium 420
Alk 9.5
Temp hi 79 low 77
Salinity 1.026

Run GFO, carbon, Biopellets 24/7
50g water changes average 6 per year (maybe)
Big believer in lots and lots of live rock. Besides the large amount in the main tank I have a separate 150g tank 75% full of only rock. However, it all started as very dead!
Live Rock all the way!! Good to see the rock was started from being dead and that your system is doing so well and has brought it too life. There are a few skeptics on the matter.

Thanks for sharing your parameters, I'm on point except my alk is at 8.

GFO is Granulated Ferric Oxide right? used to remove phosphates I believe, need to look into that.

Carbon dosing and biopellets are a whole new ball game that I have to start playing in the future.

svb57

To me the reason to have "rock" in the system is for a place for the helpful bacteria grow. Yes, there are none of the added benefits of starting with LR nor are there any of the down falls of starting with LR.

I have had no issues with phosphates with using dead rock and I can't comment on that other then the process I used. Which was to:
Bleach the rock in large rubber maid containers for 3 months (just adding bleach and water) and small power head.
Draining and replace with fresh water, let sit for month, dumping and refilling (did this three times).
Put in the drive way and power washed rock and let dry in sun for three days.
Did rock work in the tank and filled tank with fresh water and ran "system" for two weeks.
Drain, refill, add salt and after getting temp set put five raw shrimp in a bag to cycle tank.

No, this was not short process but cutting corners in this hobbie gets you no where but frustrated.

Yes, GFO is Granulated Ferric Oxide and I have run this and carbon from day one in the system so I can't say what it does for me. However, since I have no issues and the cost is minimal why eliminate just to find out.

The Alk running at 9.5 in current set-up is high compared to the 7.0 that I use to run. Not sure why it is higher because I use the same BRS products as before. Maybe some one can elaborate.

AForys

reef cleaners is a good rock already cleaned and can be put in a existing tank and not mini cycle. in my experience anyhow.