Dosing Question

zportell

So i am going to look into putting together a dosing pump.. I am not that great at math and I was just trying to go over the numbers in my head. Since this is a reef tank, I can't be wrong or I'll kill everything.

here's my thinking...

for a while, I've been raising my ALK when I get around to it. It's never fallen below 8dKh and never higher than 12. Everything in the tank seems to be doing fine. However, Last night I received 3 sps corals. I know they need an alk between 9-11dKh. If the last time I raised my Alk (monday) to 12dKh and today (thursday) its now 10dKh, that means in 4 days (96 hours) the system basically dropped 2 dKh.

On a 280ish system (275-285) based on sump water volume, using the BRS calculator for 2 part soda ash, it seems that the following has occurred: my system uses a total of 100ml / day of Alk (2 part Soda Ash) Does this mean, in order to maintain a level of 10dKh, I will need to dose 100mL of Alk per day from here on out?

All the while, maintaining calcium levels by measuring those too?

help me out please!

rockhead

We'll on my sps system I dose 130 alk daily and 120 Cal with a total tank volume of 180gal as your tank grows you may find yourself doseing 200 300 mls. You will have to adjust as your tank grows. But what brs is doing is giving you a baseline to start and you will have to tweak it from there. This is why testing weekly will give you an idea what is happening and you will be able to make small adjustments to get it dialed in.

Tom

maidia

Team CR
I dose 30 ml Cal four time a day...35 ml ALK four time a day and 6 ml Mag four time a day for my SPS tank..When you have lot of SPS later you may need to adjust your dosing volumn..+1 Tom said, need testing weekly or so..

Michael..z

I agree with saw donkey. Add it to your ato but make sure u have some sort of filter as to not clog your pump. Mine clogged with in 2 weeks from using kalk. Good luck mate