Dosing with ca reactor or triple pump setup? Suggestions recommendations needed

Hey guys looking to add dosing ability to my new build for a little down the road what do you guys like to use dosing pumps or a calcium reactor... Please let me know your experiences and brand reccomendations.. I also have an apex but am not the best at using/programming it so running ca and alk pumps off that scares me a little I'd prolly buy the bubble magus three head unit

lunacris

i had the bubble magus doser . and had it pour into the return chamber of my sump. worked great, had one issue with it and they replaced it asap .

jayjerk

Premium member
ive just recently purchased a marine magic 3 head doser. ive been very happy with it. I also own a Cal Reactor. ive been reluctant to use it as I don't think its necessary for my current set up and is a pia to set up. MM doser is nice and price is VERY fair

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I'm on the kalk train too. It's so easy, nearly free, and you don't need any equipment. If kalk stops being sufficient, I'd probably go with the jaebo doser and brs two part.

I curious how Patrick (the tank Ted posted) dosed his kalk. Through ato, or a kalk reactor?

Sorry if this is off topic, but I think is important to discuss all alk and cal options.

SkullV

I curious how Patrick (the tank Ted posted) dosed his kalk. Through ato, or a kalk reactor?
His was basically though ATO. He had a medical grade peristaltic pump running 24/7 and set the cycle frequency based on approximate evap. Ran it with fully saturated lime water (2tsp/gal). It was pretty steady and he didn't have to change it very often. No reason not to just run it with an ATO unless you have something like a Hydor Smart Level that waits for it to drop to a certain level and then fill it significantly above that level (sensor point 2).

I HAVE HEARD THE GHL IS AMAZING! i'm really not a huge fan of the calcium reactors due to the fact that you need co2 ect and it seems complicated.. dosing pumps seems way easier...just need to decisd what type id like to run... i feel like its something you don't want to mess up ever...

i'm on the kalk train too. It's so easy, nearly free, and you don't need any equipment. If kalk stops being sufficient, i'd probably go with the jaebo doser and brs two part.

I curious how patrick (the tank ted posted) dosed his kalk. Through ato, or a kalk reactor?

Sorry if this is off topic, but i think is important to discuss all alk and cal options.
not off topic at all ! Very interested in kalk as well the easier the better!

MMreef

I HAVE HEARD THE GHL IS AMAZING! i'm really not a huge fan of the calcium reactors due to the fact that you need co2 ect and it seems complicated.. dosing pumps seems way easier...just need to decisd what type id like to run... i feel like its something you don't want to mess up ever...
That's exactly why I went with GHL. If you decide to use dosing pumps you don't want some cheap stuff that can / will go bad when you don't expect and dump whole container of alk or calcium in your tank. For that peace of mind I don't mind paying a little more. Not saying MM or bubble magus are bad :). Just one thing you don't want to mess up with.

MMreef

what is your new setup going to consist of mark??? Im prolly gonna order the ghl
Not sure of what you're asking but I run GHL Doser ( 3 pumps), ATI skimmer and run carbon passively in a bag in sump. I also have 6L. of siporax in sump to compensate for my minimal rockwork in main tank. I don't run gfo or refugium but I have very low bioload. Any other questions don't hesitate to ask.