Dr. G's Coral Dip in tank treatment for Red Bugs

sk8elenex92

Premium member
I came across some threads and been in contact with couple other that have dosed this stuff directly into their tanks. Yea stupid idea, but I was willing to take the chance and give it a shot. The others I spoke with dose 1 cap for 20 gallons. I have a 120 and decided to dose just 4. I also emailed Dr G to ask what else is in the formula and it is nothing else but Milbemcyn oxime, Vitamin C, and RO/DI Water. Interceptor is Milbemcyn oxime, so I said F**K it and just went for it. Dr. G said he cant say to dose it in the tank because it MAY kill snails, crabs, pods..... hes has to cover is ASS.

I dosed the stuff last night at 1AM. I was plastered so probably bad idea hahaha. Removed carbon, and took the airline off my skimmer. Started water change around 11am only 15 gallons. Everything looks great, and not a sign of a RED BUG! I put the carbon back in and skimmer back on. I was SHOCKED my skimmer was actually skimming and not over flowing creating a foam party in the sump. Everything makes my skimmer go nuts. I did not take out a single crab or snail and they are all alive still. Well see by the end of the day.. To early to tell.

NOW THE BAD NEWSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS KILL ME

For the first time ever I spotted a AEFW!!!!! It was on the glass. I have never seen one of them suckers. It was big, and I stare at my tank every morning, my wife thinks im crazy so I would have definitely seen it before. This is the first time I actually seen one in person, Im a SPS noob so yah. The dip does say effective against AEFW, but obviously not eggs. I think the dip pissed it off and made it come out. I blew off the one acro frag and 1 more flew off, crazy. I would blow it off before and never seen any come off. The dip must have done something.

SO YAH, this sucks. I only have 5 acro frags so whatever.. I do have 2 really nice acro's that now may lose which sucks. RE Watermelon Milli and a Kick ass Acro which both look great. Their on the frag rack so probably not infested. Any one want to take them lol..
Im pretty sure I know where they came from since I only go to 3 places to get acros.

I have a bunch of sentinel tablets if any one wants them..

F**KKKKKKKKKKKKKKEN F**K

Choseneball

i'm not 100% sure but don't Lyretail Anthias usually eat them? Blow the corals off with a powerhead and the fish will do the rest i am sure.

sk8elenex92

Premium member
I did the treatment for red bugs and discovered the aefw.
I believe you are right on the aefw. But there is going to be eggs now. Prob gonna toss the acros and just keep dipping the 2 nice ones. My wrasse gobbled the one that flew off the acro. Live and learn. Not buying acros from any stores just local reefers.

madjoe

Premium member
They not that bad to get rid of specially since u only have fre corals just take out dip once a week and spot check with turkey baster they kill acros but kinda slow to do it since they were big id say you have eggs so id dip once a week for 6 weeks or more least know u know why u can keep acros most likely been in tank for awhile. Funny thing is everyone including me they treated for red bugs kill the red bugs then find aefw its like they go hand and hand an once u kelill the red bugs the aefw population explodes

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Already had two. They hated the flow in the tank and never came out unless I turned the power heads off. They lasted maybe month.

Rcunning8

Premium member
Ahhh yes I notice the same behavior. During the day when the pumps are on ful blast they tend to stick to the sandbed and don't explore past the bottom half of the tank. However I have two 2 hour periods during the day and night time where the apex turns off all the pumps and they gon on full blown explore mode when that happens and pick at everything. It also allows my wrasses to fully explore more all the acros where when the pumps are on they just avoid. I dunno how I got so lucky with this pair of pipefish but they randomly started eating frozen brine so I hope to keep them for a long while. Good luck buddy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Already had two. They hated the flow in the tank and never came out unless I turned the power heads off. They lasted maybe month.

sk8elenex92

Premium member
I'm pretty sure one got his tail chopped off because it was half gone.

Well everything else looks really good. Can't complain about any other sps. My one hermit looked half dead and out the shell but then tonight I seen it Cruising around. Also still have a crap ton of pods running around on the cheato. The anemone crab still hanging around.
So far so good except for the Acros. I tried taking a pic of them when I dipped but my camera sucks. Deft found eggs and can see lot of bite marks. Going to dip them all every Sunday for now hopefully they recover.

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Update, if any one gives a chit.

Everything looks great not one sign of red bugs and not one lose of snails/crabs yet. There are still so many pods in my sump.

sk8elenex92

Premium member
You if you dont feel safe dosing the tank I'll trade you some pills for a Frag. :)
So far so good but you never know it's only been a week so far but I would assume things would of been dead by now.

#theMatrix

I ordered the 8oz bottle.

I got this sleek tenious im growing too. My cousin is getting a frag next week.

I dipped the 2 colonies that had the res bugs. No bugs on them. One colony got all pastel and brown dull from the long dip.
Mines a 125g with a 40 sump. Not sure if its total water volume or stuff since the rock take up some volume aswell.

sk8elenex92

Premium member
I ordered the 8oz bottle.

I got this sleek tenious im growing too. My cousin is getting a frag next week.

I dipped the 2 colonies that had the res bugs. No bugs on them. One colony got all pastel and brown dull from the long dip.
Mines a 125g with a 40 sump. Not sure if its total water volume or stuff since the rock take up some volume aswell.

Keep us updated after you dose the stuff. What solution are you currently dipping in? Yeah I'm never to sure exactly how much water volume there is. I did 4 caps in my 120 with a 26 gallon sump.

#theMatrix

Keep us updated after you dose the stuff. What solution are you currently dipping in? Yeah I'm never to sure exactly how much water volume there is. I did 4 caps in my 120 with a 26 gallon sump.
Will do. Standard shipping will take a week. I used the blueRx coral dip and for the 2 colonies with red bugs i dipped in bayer. Those are now free of bugs but some moved over to my maricultured garf bansai. I looked hard because the polyps were receded. And sure enough i spotted some red bugs. I can continue to dip or treat the tank...and since this liquid format looks promising i will do that.

Btw, does the data logger need a special usb to connect to pc and reconnect to wifi?