Dr. Tim's One and Only

Has anyone cycled their tank with Dr. Tim's? http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/ I was at Reef Wise in Lisle and they recommended it.

I see it has been peer reviewed in scientific papers, so I'm thinking the old school thought of bacteria in a bottle being nothing more than snake oil, is well, old school.

At the very least I'm thinking of using it for setting up a quarantine tank. That way I can break the tank down when I don't need it. And when I get a new fish, I can set it up and use Dr. Tim's to get it up and running quickly.

Anyone use it?

Mr. Salt Water Tank seems to like it:

[video=youtube_share;kPxExG-FbvI]http://youtu.be/kPxExG-FbvI[/video]

Last edited:

tinman

Doesn't work. waste of money ..

i liked the reviews, i tried it and now i hate the product.

Has anyone cycled their tank with Dr. Tim's? http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/ I was at Reef Wise in Lisle and they recommended it.

I see it has been peer reviewed in scientific papers, so I'm thinking the old school thought of bacteria in a bottle being nothing more than snake oil, is well, old school.

At the very least I'm thinking of using it for setting up a quarantine tank. That way I can break the tank down when I don't need it. And when I get a new fish, I can set it up and use Dr. Tim's to get it up and running quickly.

Anyone use it?

Mr. Salt Water Tank seems to like it:

[video=youtube_share;kPxExG-FbvI]http://youtu.be/kPxExG-FbvI[/video]

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I think a lot of people here have used this with success. I dumped a bottle in my tank when I upgraded from my tank of about 90 gal of total volume to about 260 gallons. I'm not sure if it helped or not, but I did not get a cycle.

I wouldn't fully rely on it, and I'd still do some testing for a week or so after using it and before adding livestock, but I think that the consensus is that it doesn't hurt anything.

riv

Premium member
I use it on my 125rr. I added 3 fish the same day and tested every day for at least 3 weeks. Never had a problem.

SMACKERS4

i used 120g worth in a 80g system still got a cycle. im sure it doesnt hurt, but id probably go natural cycle next time. If your in a bind and NEED to add your livestock right away, thats when i would waste my money on this stuff.

I have cycled 2 tanks with Dr Tims and had great experience and Brian aka ReefWise is good people and sells the best products avail to us .
Bob

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

jm23

Took me 2 weeks using this product with all dry rock and dry sand. I will also add that if you are not in a hurry there is more to the cycle then just ammonia and nitrite hitting zero and I would let my tank run for 6 to 8 weeks before adding anything. Keep an eye on your alk, cal, and mag during that time as my most recent setup took a long time to balance out these parameters.

tinman

Took me 2 weeks using this product with all dry rock and dry sand. I will also add that if you are not in a hurry there is more to the cycle then just ammonia and nitrite hitting zero and I would let my tank run for 6 to 8 weeks before adding anything. Keep an eye on your alk, cal, and mag during that time as my most recent setup took a long time to balance out these parameters.
i guess thats where i lucked out. .

i used dr tims but my cycle took about 6 weeks to get ammonia and nitrate to 0 and all this while i was adding pure ammonia to read 3ppm and wait for them to hit 0 ... took me too long i think. i bet would have taken me the same amount of time even without using Dr.Tims

riv

Premium member
All also add I started with dry sand and rock. Never had any ammonia spike.

SkullV

Dr. Tim is also the inventor if Bio-Spira if you have no access to One and Only (Aquapros carrys it).

Reef City

The old school way of cycling a tank is to stick a piece of raw shrimp/fish in the tank, wait 2+ months for the cycle to occur naturally and good (nitrifying) bacteria to flourish. Dr. Tim's and similar products speed up this process up because it is the nitrifying bacteria we are trying to grow. Therefor it needs something to feed on, like food, fish poop, etc for it to be successful.

~ Margaret

7Hogwarts

Premium member
I thought the old school way was to set it up and put a damsel in to cycle the tank. Or to pee in the tank!